Chapter FIFTY FOUR - Jokes and Bubbles

Ominis made no point to slow and we had to jog to catch up with him, wand and chin raised high but a small smirk frisked over the corner of his lips.

The three of us fell into familiar step, shoulder to shoulder as we made our way down the usual pathway. The crunch of shifting pebbles and dirt beneath our boots bounced across the stone and Ominis hummed quietly to himself, something I had never known him to do before. Sebastian smiled at the sound and though I expected him to tease the boy for it, he instead took a deep breath and I could see his shoulders relax.

I marveled at their dynamic.

The autumn sunlight, warm and orange, tilted over the trees and caught the edges of the browning leaves as they tumbled weightlessly to the ground one after the other. I was distracted by the glint of water as the lake shifted around the castle, whispering moments of peace.

I felt a warmth at my arm and looked down to find Sebastian's fingertips against my wrist, tracing down my veins and slipping into place against my palm.

My heart fluttered.

His fingers flexed through mine and I smiled at my boots.

When we reached the slope to our spot, Sebastian climbed down first, hand still in mine and helped me through the steepest part. He squeezed my palm before turning to Ominis to guide him through the same stretch.

"I have been reading into your predicament, Sebastian, ways we might remedy it. I believe you need to loosen up, to let yourself breath, to clear you head." Ominis tucked himself against his spot in the back of the little expanse of rock.

"How?" Sebastian took my fingers and walked with me up the last step. "A good joke?"

"As much as it pains me to admit, that may just work."

Sebastian's eyes were shining now. "Why don't we all go around, taking turns telling them?"

"No."

"Please Ominis? Pretty please with a bright yellow lemon drop on top?"

Ominis groaned, paused, spoke with his eyelids shut in resignation. "Only if Atley also participates."

"Oh no."

"Oh yes." Sebastian grinned and plopped down cross-legged across from Ominis, tapping the spot to his right, dorky grin beckoning me over. 

Dropping my book bag from my shoulder, I tucked my legs under my body and fiddled with my braid, frantically trying to remember any jokes I had heard or read before.

"I'll go first." Sebastian tapped his palms to his thighs and tilted his chin to the sky in thought, only bringing it down when his eyes widened.

"Why don't dinosaurs talk?"

"I am instantly regretting my agreement." Ominis tucked his forehead against his fingers.

"C'mon Ominis. I thought you wanted to help me? Why don't dinosaurs talk?"

"Enlighten me."

Sebastian let out a strangled snort as he tried to hold in his giggle. "Because they're dead."

If I had been drinking anything I would have surely spit it out. Ominis remained perfectly poised.

When Sebastian finally pulled himself together, he tapped my knee.

"Your turn Barlowe."

Thankfully, I had remembered one from my childhood that I used to tell my parents over and over again. Mom had always loved it.

"What is the difference between a piano and a fish?"

"Oh! I know this one." Ominis smiled.

"SHHH. Ominis! Don't spoil it."

"You can tune a piano, but you can't tune-a-fish." I scrunched my nose.

"Ha!" Sebastian grinned. "Clever! -Alright Ominisssssssss."

The blonde boy was silent for a good long while, almost to the point of awkwardness.

"What do you call a snake that is 3.14 ft long?"

"Do tell."

"A pi-thon." He grinned ear to ear, clearly very proud of himself.

I laughed abruptly - his awkward delivery making the joke a million times better.

Sebastian leaned back on his hands. "I don't get it."

"Don't explain it."  Ominis was still grinning in my direction.

"Fine. I've got one." Sebastian crossed his arms to pout. "Why did Ominis fall into a well."

I smirked. "This should be good."

Sebastian's eyes were glued to the blonde boy's face. "He couldn't see that well."

"Oh imagine that. A blind joke. How original Sebastian."

The godawful jokes continued on a few more rounds before Ominis couldn't take it anymore and demanded Sebastian move on to the more practical side of the spell. Ushering the smiley boy to his feet, he had him raise his wand and try again and again.

Try after try, flourish after flourish and still, nothing but a few sparks. I watched the doubt prickle millions beneath his skin.

"Maybe I'm just doomed." He threw his hands up in the air. "I've gone through just about every memory with Anne, every memory with my parents..." He frowned. "Honestly this is just getting to be embarrassing."

"Oh Sebastian. I know you'll think of something. Just be patient." Ominis was fiddling with a few papers in his book bag.

Sebastian took a deep breath to collect himself and gazed out over the water, bits of crumbled leaves tumbled below his feet.

"You know a spell I do know though?"

He spoke so quickly I couldn't make out the charm but light gold bubbles streamed gently from Sebastian's raised wand, falling slowly down and popping against our bodies. The quickly fading light wrapping bows around each one.

"Stop that." Ominis brushed at his arms where his sleeves had been rolled back and little bubbles were landing one after the other.

"Stop what?"

"You're making me feel... weird."

"That's called love Ominis."