Chapter SIXTY FIVE - Costumes

Before heading to bed ourselves, Sebastian and I planned to fly back to Feldcroft the day after Halloween under the cover of night. We would take the time to dig further into everything we could and hopefully find some answers.

The idea of riding on a broom tightened my gut - the only thing keeping my fear at bay was the thought of being wrapped so closely around Sebastian. 

Who knew butterflies could fight off nausea?

The next few days came and passed with little to no excitement. The three of us met every night in the Undercroft to work on our own schoolwork or dive into our respective texts, though Ominis did promise that he wanted to get the two of us to work on our patronuses at the earliest convenience. 

Sebastian had giggled at that and been all to happy to inform Ominis that he had already "perfected" the cast. To no one's surprise, Ominis didn't believe him and only begrudgingly congratulated Sebastian after I assured him he had truthfully cast the spell.

Since my nightmare in the Undercroft, I'd noticed Ominis' careful gate around Sebastian and how much more aware he seemed to be of me and my own mental state. His constant concern felt a true blessing and I thanked my lucky stars for a friend like him.

We'd also made a bit of progress in planning our costumes. 

No thanks to Sebastian who had continuously suggested things such as dressing Ominis up as a worm or a bird.

"Do you see now why I insisted on having you preside over this costume business?" Ominis had frowned to me with his arms crossed.

"Well what did you expect of me?" Sebastian pouted from the furthest corner of the Undercroft. "Planning outfits is not my forte."

"Obviously." Ominis whispered under his breath.

"I heard that you twit." He tapped his little wooden pipe against the wall. 

Ever since he had brought it back from Gladrags, he had been toting it around for no other reason than to "feel important" as he put it. He assured me he didn't much like the idea of smoking but could appreciate the illusion and mystery of it.

The click of wood against stone switched something in my mind.

"Ominis, what if you went as Dr. Watson?"

Sebastian nearly tumbled over in excitement, scrambling from his pout in the dark corner to rocking back and forth from the balls of his feet to his heels directly in front of Ominis and I.

"Doctor who?"

"As much as I want to be reveling over the fact that I know something you don't, I'm rather disappointed in you Ominis." 

"That's incredibly rude Sebastian." I huffed.

"But I suppose it is rather fitting...." He continued without regard to my statement. "My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people do not know."

Sebastian grinned proudly and I couldn't help but smile at the direct quote. Ominis on the other hand only deepened his scowl.

"Dr. Watson is Sherlock Holmes' dapper and devoted friend and colleague from the stories I was telling you about Ominis. I think you would look rather dashing dressed as him."

"Easy now." Sebastian glanced quickly to me and I crossed my arms.

"Do you want me to help you convince him or not?"

He stuck his tongue out to me and I held back the urge to punch his arm.

Ominis seemed to consider. "No worms or feathers?"

"Exactly. No worms or feathers." I agreed.

"Ominis, please be the Dr. Watson to my Sherlock. I'll never ask anything of you again!" Sebastian clasped his hands together loudly and shook them so rapidly I worried he might topple over.

"I rather doubt that Sebastian." 

Sebastian shrugged but didn't say anything aloud for Ominis.

"Alright. Atley, I trust you to put together the outfit- just let me know what I need to purchase."

Sebastian pumped his arm in the air and hugged his friend tightly. "Yes!" Ominis smiled softly into the embrace but kept his body otherwise stiff as if pretending not to care.

After a mini sprint around the Undercroft, Sebastian was back at my side.

"Have you figured out your costume yet?"

Ominis tilted his head to us, listening intently.

"Uhm... not quite yet. But- I have an idea for a general costume? Nothing too specific but definitely out of my normal comfort zone."

"Do tell." Ominis seemed genuinely interested.

"Well- I'm not usually one for dresses, but I've always loved the idea of a masquerade ball. I was thinking I could find one of those stupidly oversized dresses and a pretty mask. Just for fun- but I'm not sure..."

"That sounds like a lovely idea." Ominis nodded.

"It does indeed." Sebastian was smiling at me. "Though I do hate the idea of you hiding that gorgeous face of yours."

Ominis groaned and quickly changed the subject. "I assume you will be attending the Slytherin party following the feast?"

I cocked my head to the side. "The Slytherin party?"

Sebastian snorted. "Oh Barlowe. You didn't really think I would let you suffer at a Gryffindor party did you?"

"I assumed the parties would be in the respective common rooms?"

"There are." Ominis was even grinning slightly.

"I'll get you in. Don't you worry." Sebastian winked and my stomach was tossed uncomfortably.

"A party..." I squeaked.

"I am not one for unnecessary rule breaking... but Anne, Sebastian and I have had quite a bit of fun during Halloween's prior." Ominis smiled at the floor. "I suspect you will enjoy them too."

"It's settled then!" Sebastian slung his arm around my shoulder and placed a quick kiss to my temple. "Maybe wear a bit of green sweetheart- you do look so good in it."