Chapter EIGHTY THREE - 2nd Trial

(Just a quick note - for those who are interested, we now have a Discord Server! You can find it via the link in my author bio. All are welcome, we would love to have you. And another thanks to the wonderful people who put it all together - it is AMAZING)

https://discord.gg/3CPjRWcASG

The tips of our toes traced the wisps of ancient magic and I desperately wished my companions could feel and see them. They danced across my ankles, over my knees and surrounded my chest before disappearing to the air.

The hollow crushing anxiety just below my sternum tugged at my breath as the bright white light extended against the stone wall and dotted the edges of a newly formed archway. 

Sebastian whistled. "Ladies and gentlemen, that is my girlfriend."

Ominis quirked a brow but couldn't hide his smirk. His hand found mine and he gave it a single squeeze before we stepped forward and through.

My skin prickled as the chill of the air scratched my bones and the shadows of the room hugged my sides. Twisting, towering pillars of stone wound up into fog that shifted and turned like water. The hallways and rooms were incredibly reminiscent of the first trial aside from a great deal more archways at the center.

Sebastian drifted off to the right as we stepped down a flight of stairs, eyes glued to a mirrored wall and a large chest sat just below it.

"Alohomora." He whispered, and the chest clicked open instantly. 

Crouching down, he riffled through the contents. The sounds of clinking metal and shifting fabric caught Ominis' attention.

"I take it our little Niffler has found something shiny to ransack." He sighed. "Atley darling, however did you ever get anything done with this marauder."

"Honestly he's been pretty well behaved-"

Ominis snorted.

"I can still hear you two." Sebastian's voice was muffled as his head ducked into the chest. "What in Merlin's name is the point of having a treasure chest, if there's no treasure? Like look at this!" He hauled the upper half of his body out of the chest and whipped his head around to us.

Covering his eyes was the wildest set of spectacles I had ever seen. Metal wound around and out to a point and the center was filled with green lenses and a tiny black slit like the eye of a dragon.

A quick sharp breath shot from my lungs and I couldn't help the fit of laughter that ensued.

Perhaps it was the nerves, or the exhaustion, but I couldn't stop laughing and my eyes grew watery - nearly missing the bemused grin on Sebastian's face as he took the glasses off and tossed them into the trunk.

"Whoah there Barlowe, it's not that funny." He chuckled along with me though and Ominis crossed his arms.

"I would ask you to describe it, but I don't believe I want to know."

Stomach tight from laughter, I reigned in the fit and sniffed as I wiped my eyes. "Just know, Sebastian looked absolutely ridiculous."

"I assumed that was how he looked all the time." Ominis deadpanned.

"Hey!"

"Only sometimes." I giggled.

"HEY!"

Sebastian pretended to pout but bumped his shoulder against mine as we continued through the halls, keeping an eye out for stone knights.

Aside from the click of our boots against the marble-like floor and the occasional flicker of flame from a torch, the space around us was especially silent.