Chapter THIRTY SEVEN - Always

(For the moments in the Undercroft - here is the first song I imagine: 16 waltzes, Op. 39: No. 15 in A flat major by Johannes Brahms • Hungarian Dances)

Sebastian tucked himself into my side as the carriage pulled away from Feldcroft.

Solomon hadn't said a word when he'd arrived back but had instead stood just inside the door with his arms crossed and watching us with beady eyes.

Anne had made sure to give each of us an extra long hug including me. She had even whispered in my ear "Don't let him get into too much trouble." with a light tap on my back and a sad smile.

"I promise."

Ominis had been reluctant to let go of Anne's hand, rubbing his thumb over the back of it in worried circles. She had walked him out the door to the carriage, much to Solomons dismay, and even then Ominis had been rather clingy.

"I'll be alright sweet Ominis. I'll see you all soon, I'm sure."

The sun had already begun to set, but the dancing light of golden hour twisted beautifully against his high cheekbones and her warm eyes. She brushed a stray piece of hair that had fallen into his face back up over his head and Ominis smiled.

"Yes. We will visit again soon my dear."

Ominis had stepped into the carriage and I had followed closely behind, but Sebastian took another step to his sister with a hung head. She wrapped him in another hug and I wondered how such a simple moment could be splitting my heart so profoundly.

I hadn't been able to hear entirely clear, but it sounded as if she had whispered "Don't be an idiot. Don't let her go." to which Sebastian pulled back quickly to look at Anne. I would have given anything to see his face, to chart his features, to know if he had linked that statement to me and if he had been disgusted at the prospect. Unfortunately all I could do was stare at the back of his stupid head.

The siblings hugged again and Sebastian promised we would be back as soon as Professor Weasley allowed "or doesn't allow" he added with a cheeky grin as he stepped into the carriage and Anne gave me a pointed look. I smiled. It was going to be a lot harder than I thought to keep true to my promise to Anne.

She waved softly to the three of us as the carriage moved away and I hoped I had been the only one to notice the way she had been clutching her stomach and struggling to stand upright as we pulled out of view.

Ominis sat silently on my left and Sebastian on my right, hands worrying in his lap. I pretended not to look at his face, to give him his space, but a quick peek was all I needed for my heart to break. He was staring straight ahead, nostrils flaring slightly and a single tear threatening to spill over the edge. Without a second thought, I slipped my hand between both of his and watched as his breath caught for a moment.  He lifted a hand from mine and I was worried he would pull away completely, but he only wiped quickly at the tear before placing it back on top of mine, running his fingers through my own. He didn't look down at me but instead closed his eyes and leaned into my side, breath shuddering slightly.

A muffled sound lifted from Ominis as he too struggled with his heart. I looped my other hand through his and he gave it a tight squeeze. 

We rode the entire way back to Hogwarts in silence.

——

None of us had wanted to go to our rooms after arriving back at the school in pure darkness and had snuck into the Undercroft after checking in with Professor Weasley. She had smiled kindly but I could see the sadness behind her eyes at our faces. I don't think she would have even minded that night if she had known of the Undercroft and our lack of sleep. In fact, I almost imagined she would have encouraged it. Thankfully though, she knew nothing of the space or our empty beds and I wouldn't need to worry if I was wrong in my thinking.

Ominis had made a beeline directly for the piano at the far end of the Undercroft and tucked himself into the seat, resting his slender fingers into the divots in the keys.

"Wait! Won't that be too loud? Won't someone hear?" I panicked.

Sebastian grinned and shook his head. "Ominis, I think you should take offense. Barlowe seems to think you haven't taken the necessary precautions."

Ominis didn't turn around but spoke swiftly. "I've charmed the room darling, you can't hear anything from the inside on the outside."

"Oh." I bit my lip, a bit embarrassed I hadn't thought of that myself, but aside from the slight teasing of Ominis from Sebastian, I felt judgment from neither of them.

Ominis pressed his fingers into the keys and the room was filled with elegant warmth. I was in awe at his accuracy, his rhythm, his musicality. The boy rocked gently with the flow of music and I felt my heart clench around each note.

Sebastian was at my side, lips curved up at the edges as he watched my face before tugging me to the center of the room and kicking a few pillows to the side.

He made a show of bowing low and holding his hand out to me.

"My lady, may I have this dance?"

My cheeks heated and I smirked at his ruffled hair. I curtsied once and delicately placed my fingers to his palm.

"If you insist."

My heart was pounding against my ears but I fought to keep it at bay, instead focusing on Ominis' music.

Sebastian pulled me in close to him and the nerves wracked my muscles.

"I don't know what I'm doing." I whispered in his ear and watched as he shivered slightly.

"Let me show you then."

He pulled my hand up and placed it on his shoulder bringing his right hand down to my waist, the warmth sending a spark up my side. He stretched his other arm out with my hand in his and shifted our bodies even closer until my chest was flush with his.

"Is this alright?" He whispered and I looked up through my lashes to his warm brown eyes.

"Yes."

He smiled playfully and began to rock us from side to side as Ominis continued.

I worried my feet would trip over Sebastian's but he held onto my waist so tightly even if I were to trip, I knew he would hold me upright.

Back

and forth

Around

and around

Our hearts and our bodies danced

The lights from the candles danced too just over our souls and as Ominis switched to a different, slower song, Sebastian pressed his cheek against my head and held me impossibly closer.

"Atley," he whispered. "You know- you- you mean a lot to me."

My breathing leapt.

"I just want to thank you. For everything. Thank you for being here, for me. And- and Ominis too of course..."

I squeezed his hand in mine, never stopping our dancing.

It took me a moment to find my words but when they came I knew it was right, it was all I needed to say.

"Always Sebastian. Always."

I felt him grin into my hair.

I never wanted this moment to end.