Chapter TWENTY SEVEN - Butterbeer and Freckles

I tucked my tintype gently between the pages of the ancient text book in my bag and offered to put Ominis' in with his books but he politely refused and tucked it into the breast pocket of his uniform- keeping it close.

Sebastian kept his in his palm as we continued on through town towards the Three Broomsticks.

It was busier than normal inside, the gentle sound of clinking glasses and murmuring voices breezed between my fingers and kissed my ears. There was something so calming about a tavern - everyone sharing a moment to themselves or with their friends.

As we stepped up to the counter to order our drinks, I was saddened to find that the sweet lady I had met my first time here was nowhere in sight. Instead, a tall bald man with a perfectly brushed mustache that curled up at the edges stood behind it, polishing a few glasses. His white button up was rolled up at the sleeves, a little band around the right one and a tattered brown apron tied around his front.

"Where's Sirona?" Sebastian spoke for my thoughts.

The man continued polishing the glasses but glanced up at the three of us.

"She took a little 'oliday. Will be back later this week though don't 'cha worry." His Scottish accent was incredibly thick and I had to pause a moment and run through the sounds that came out of his mouth before understanding.

He placed the glass down with a satisfying clunk and reached his hand out to each of us. "Malcolm Stewart."

"Atley Barlowe"

"Pleasure"

"Ominis Gaunt."

"Nice to meet 'cha."

"Sebastian Sallow."

"Welcome in. Now, I assume you want some butterbeers?

"Yes please."

Malcom poured with a heavy hand into three large handled mugs and placed them in front of us individually.

"Miss Atley."

"Thank you sir."

"Ominis."

He nodded graciously and reached his fingers out to the cool glass.

"And Samuel."

"Sebastian."

"Right, sorry."

We took our mugs and guided Ominis over to a little round table in the far corner of the room, hanging our bags over the backs of the chairs and settling in.

Sebastian pulled out the little black notebook I had shoved back into his bag this morning and and unwrapped the leather cord around it. I barely got a glimpse of the pages as he tucked the tin photo inside and I couldn't contain a little gasp.

"Are those drawings Sallow?"

He closed the notebook and ran a hand down the back of his neck. "Uhmmmm... nope. Just notes."

I took a long sip of my drink and eyed him suspiciously.

"Sebastian..." Ominis' tone scolding and I watched as Sebastian tilted his head down in shame and stuck out his bottom lip to pout. 

"Sorry mother."

I snorted. Butterbeer nearly spewing from my lips.

Head still tilted downward, his eyes bounced up to mine and his lips twitched, trying to contain a laugh. I covered my mouth to suppress my own as the undeniable urge flamed up inside me, steam coming from of my ears at the effort.