Chapter THIRTEEN - Promises and Flames

"Remind me to take you to the restricted section more often!" He was practically bouncing with excitement, heals all but lifting off the ground. "What WAS that?!"

"Sebastian-"

"You were AMAZING! And that... magic? You have to teach me." He was at my side again, his eyes were wide and dark, hoping. "Please! I'll do anything, I swear." There was a little smile on his lips but a sadness in his eyes. The look from the Great Hall twisting inside his soul again.

"I- Sebastian... I can't. It doesn't work like that."

He looked as if I'd slapped him.

My heart fought wars with my brain.

I can't tell him... right? It would only put him in danger. -But he's already seen it. If I don't tell him, he'll only go looking for answers...

"Professor Fig made me swear not to tell anyone... you have to swear not to tell anyone." I tapped my finger to his chest.

His eagerness lit flames in his eyes. He drew an invisible "X" across his chest. "Cross my heart Barlowe. And I never break a promise."

Something in his eyes tugged at my heart and I knew

I can trust him.

"Ok, but not here. I don't much feel like fighting anymore today." I repositioned the bag on my shoulder- its weight tugging on the muscles in my neck.

"Honestly? I could go another round." He swung is arms around in front of his chest to stretch them and then tilted his head to pop his neck.

I rolled my eyes and we began to walk back towards the entrance of the smokey glass room.

Up up up we climbed. I had thought the walk down was bad, but THIS was a thousand times worse. My breath was strained and my legs felt as if they might collapse underneath me at any moment once we reached the top. 

Sebastian was folded in half, leaning his arms on his knees, panting heavily. I closed the door behind us and sat back against one of the boxes, letting my body slide down the side. Sebastian stood up quickly and tugged at the neck of his shirt. Unbuttoning the top button, pausing for a moment and then deciding it wasn't enough and unbuttoning another. He wiped the sweat from his brow and blinked over at me, opening his mouth to speak.

"WHO DO WE HAVE HERE?!"

This is not real life. There is no way, no universe in which this night could get any more complicated... Yet here Peeves is, ready to throw a sword in all of it.

Sebastian looked just as fed up as I did. His head falling back on his shoulders in defeat and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Sebastian Sallow and his new little friiieeennndddd, out exploring where they shouldn't be." The troublesome ghost grinned wickedly at us, drifting back and forth above our heads and rubbing his hands together in excitement. "Naughty naughtyyyyy" He waved a finger. "You'll get CAUGHTYYYY!" Diving up higher in the air, he circled us close enough for me to feel the prickle of cold air against my neck before darting around the corner and heading directly for the way up to the main library.

"Peeves....." Sebastian was glaring daggers at the ghost, jaw clenched. "Don't- you-" He took a step toward the ghost, as if there was anything he would be able to do.

"I'm going to tell! I'm going to tell! I'm going to tell!" Peeves sung wickedly, his voice growing distant at an alarming rate. "I'm going to telllll. I'm going to telllll."

Sebastian kicked a wooden chest near his feet. "Blasted PEEVES!" His fists clenched and unclenched and he whirled towards me. "I've got to stop him. Or.. or at least get to the librarian first and come up with a decent excuse." He stomped away in the direction of the nasty poltergeist.