24

Like every other day at the chawl, a man came on his bike with a stack of the day's newspapers. And like every other day, the man went around to each door and placed a newspaper before it, before heading on his merry way. When the residents of the colony would wake up, they would open their doors and retrieve their newspapers to read over their cup of chai, and just like every other day, they did the same.

However, unlike every other day, most residents of the chawl got stuck at the door, surprised by the headlining news.

"Ma, did you get the paper yet," Trishna asked. "I want the entertainment section."

"I know, I know," Padmini grinned as she headed to the door. "Just how many more pictures will you cut out and put on the wall? You won't have any space left at this rate," she teased.

As Padmini went to open the door, there was a sudden urgent knocking.

"Mother India, quickly open up," she heard Roma say from outside.

Confused, Padmini opened the door but was immediately shocked as Roma pushed her way in and quickly shut the doors behind her.

"Roma-!"

"Did Bhai come here yet?"

"No-"

"Thank goodness," she sighed with relief.

Both Madhu and Trishna looked at each other with confusion, then went over to them.

"Roma, are you okay," Trishna asked.

"What's wrong," Madhu asked.

Roma looked at Madhu, a stern expression taking over her face as she held the newspaper out to her. Madhu was still confused, but she took the newspaper anyways, and her mother and sister huddled by her to see what Roma was trying to show her. Madhu unfolded the newspaper and as soon as she saw the front page, she was shocked. Not only was she shocked, but so was Padmini. But even more shocked than her was Trishna, gasping out loudly.

Madhu gaped at the newspaper. "What... I don't-"

"It's everywhere Glycerin," Roma said. "Everywhere! Not just on this newspaper but other newspapers as well; I checked at the shop across the chawl before coming here. Not only on newspapers and magazines but the TV channels and the internet as well!"

Madhu looked at Roma in shock as Trishna took hold of the newspaper.

"RK's New Laila," she read the headline out loud. 

But not only was her focus on the headline, but on the picture beneath it, where her dear sister Madhubala was in the arms of RK the Superstar.

"Has anyone else seen this," Padmini asked.

"There's already so many people in the chawl who saw it, most of Mumbai has seen it- heck the country has," Roma exclaimed.

"But none of this is true," Madhu said. "How could they write such a thing?!"

Padmini took hold of Madhu's hand. "Madhu, first I want you to explain to me how in the world did you even end up in RK's arms like that?"

"Ma-"

The sound of the TV cut her off, Trishna having turned it on and going to one of the entertainment channels. As she had expected, shows were covering the situation.

"...but let's go back to today's breaking news - the biggest of breaking news we've had in a long time," the hostess said.

"Deedu-"

But Trishna hushed Madhu, waving her hand at her as she focused on the TV, where several images similar to the one in the newspaper were being showed.

"They say a picture is worth a thousand words and these pictures say no less," the hostess continued. "In many films we have seen women being in RK's arms in such a way, but never have we seen it in real life... until now!"