11

When Madhubala, Trishna, and Roma arrived home, they were surprised to see Malik had returned. Everyone was happy and Roma filled him in on all that had happened.

"That all sounds quite exciting," Malik said. "So, Madhu, where's your contract? I can look it over."

"Uh, yeah, sure... I'll go get it," Madhu said, and she got up to get the contract.

Will they be okay with me going abroad for a month, she wondered. I've never been to another country before.

Madhu returned with the contract in hand and gave it to Malik. He looked it over, reading it carefully. He himself had dealt with many contracts in his time in the film industry, especially given that he's stunts-man, so contracts were no foreign matter to him. He quietly read over the contract while Madhu sat there quietly as well, waiting for his reaction.

And it finally came.

"Wait, Madhu... this says you would have to go to Switzerland for a month."

"What," the three other ladies said together.

But while Padmini said it in shock, Roma and Trishna were excited.

"Switzerland," Roma shrieked. "As in DDLJ Switzerland?"

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe they're filming in Switzerland," Trishna squealed.

"That may be," Padmini said, "but Madhu's not going."

Everyone immediately looked at her.

"Yaar, what are you saying," Roma exclaimed.

Even Trishna looked at her with disbelief. "Ma-"

"There's no way I'm letting Madhu go to a foreign country all by herself," Padmini said. "I won't argue over this, I said what I said," and she walked away, heading to the kitchen.

Madhu's shoulders sagged; truth be told, while the idea did shock her, she did secretly wish to go. Having never traveled before, nor having the finances to do so - hence them still living in their little apartment in the colony where the kitchen and living room were together and the bedroom being slightly separated by a wall, with their dining area right in front of their bed - the thought of being able to go to a foreign country for work purposes truly was exciting. But knowing her mother, Madhu had a feeling it would get shot down, and given her mother's reaction, she thought right.

Roma looked at her brother and gestured him to say something, as did Trishna. Malik looked from them to Madhu, and one look in her eyes told him she was sad by her mother's words. So he pursed his lips and stood up.

"Padminiji-"

"Malik, please, I don't want to talk about this," Padmini said, cutting him off.

"But this would be good for Madhu."

Padmini turned to him in shock. "Good? She'd be alone in a foreign country!"

"How would she be alone? The whole cast and crew would be there-"

"Those are all strangers! Who's going to watch her-?"

"Padminiji, Madhu is grown now; she's an adult. She knows how to take care of herself, and she takes care of each and every one of us," he smiled softly.

"But for a girl to be all on her own-"

"I know my daughter very well; she was raised properly to know the difference between what's right and what's wrong." He moved over to Madhu, who stood up beside him. "She'd never do anything that could possibly bring shame to her family," and he wrapped his arm around her.