16

When Madhu got home that night, she was still very much irked by what had happened. Not only that but she felt a little embarrassed.

I can't believe he heard me say all of that! It surely filled up that egoistic head of his even more! At this rate it'll probably inflate like a balloon! Arrogant freaking....

Madhu bit at her nails as she sat on her bed, when Trishna came.

"Are you okay Madhu?"

Madhu snapped out of her thoughts. "Y-yeah Deedu I'm fine, just anxious about tomorrow."

"Why are you worrying so much," Trishna asked as she went around to her side of the bed. "You said the day went well, right?"

"Yeah but... I mean everyday won't be the same."

"No, but that doesn't mean it has to be stressful. Chill yaar!"

Madhu looked away to the side.

"Oh yeah! Were you able to ask the director if you could do a small role?"

"Oh, um... no Deedu, sorry."

Trishna looked down at her lap.

"It was just so busy and one thing was happening after the other, I didn't even get the chance. B-but I promise, as soon as the opportunity rises, I'll ask him for sure!"

"Promise?"

"Promise," she nodded, making Trishna smile.

"Okay, now go to bed; you have to get up early after all."

Both sisters settled in, and before long, fell asleep.

*~*

The following day when Madhu arrived on set, she headed directly to the makeup room. There were already a few people there, and not long later, Navisa arrived. Some time later, Mishra Saab came to talk about the scene and the look he was going for, and once that was discussed, Madhu went straight to work while Navisa looked over her lines.

"You know, yesterday it was a little nerve-racking acting with RK," Navisa said. "I mean he's such an established star."

"That may be," Madhu said, "but one day you will be as well."

"You think so Madhu?"

"Of course! You're not any less talented yourself! You remember how many people auditioned for this role?"

"Hmm, that's true.... I heard your sister also auditioned for the role."

Madhu paused for a second before resuming.

"I'm sure you wish it was her instead of me-"

"No, Navisa, not at all! Sure, I feel bad that Deedu didn't get the part but at the end of the day it was out of our hands. And having met you, I understand why they made their choice; you're perfect for the role."

Navisa reached out and squeezed her hand as a warm gesture, Madhu squeezing it in return.

"Deedu will get her moment one day, I just know it! She'll just have to play as a junior artist for a little bit longer and then one day, her golden opportunity will arise!"

"You believe in your sister that much, huh?"

"Of course! What about you? Do you have any siblings?"

Navisa shook her head. "Nope it's just me and my mom. After Papa passed away when I was 7..."

Madhu instantly felt bad for saying anything.

"...a lot of pressure fell on us. Ma would get me some gigs like ad campaigns with the hopes of making some money. I didn't mind it, I enjoyed the fact that she'd take me out of school here and there. Becoming an actress was my dream."