20 - The mortal danger of the...snow balls? (Thomas)

Thomas was still grinning like an idiot as he walked back to the room with Mikaela

Thomas was still grinning like an idiot as he walked back to the room with Mikaela. Neither of them said anything along the way, but whenever he looked at the girl, and she noticed the gesture, he would smile.

He was happy, so of course he would find a way to ruin everything. His brain began to bombard him with a series of questions he had no answers for.

Are we dating? What are we going to tell Daniel? Does she want to keep everything a secret? Am I the only one nervous? What if the kiss meant nothing to her? She didn't say anything about dating at all...or did she and I didn't pay attention???

His questions were cut short when the bedroom door opened and Daniel met them in the hallway.

"Finally! " The rocker said when he saw them. "I was getting worried. I even wondered if you went to practice without me, but then one of the elves brought me this note here"

He showed the note, Thomas waited for Mikaela to read it, then glanced at the message.

"I'll wait for you at the gates of the wall?" That's all that was written in a beautiful and well-crafted handwriting.

The note was signed by Noelle, and Thomas wondered why he was still surprised that the warrior was able to write in such neat handwriting. Apparently the Valkyrie job had a more demanding curriculum than medicine or law.

"The guy who gave me this gave me directions to the palace's entrance hall, it doesn't seem difficult." Daniel spoke and started walking, followed by Mikaela. "Let's go, I'm looking forward to finding out what kind of training we're going to get."

Thomas pocketed the note and followed his friends. As he still couldn't say what point his relationship with Mikaela was at, he decided to stay by the rocker's side. He didn't want to seem like the clingy, needy type of person.

Following Daniel, they only got lost twice through the palace corridors before finding the exit to the front courtyard. Somehow he managed to lead them first into a hall that looked like a huge stash of wooden toys and then into a kitchen where three elves were arguing in their bizarre language. None of the elves paid any attention to them, and when one hit the other with a pot, they decided it would be better to continue their journey alone.

Two huge double doors gave way to the courtyard, and they opened and closed by themselves as they approached. Outside, the darkness was almost complete, with no moon or stars in the sky, the only source of light coming from torches attached to the walls. Small dots of light ahead, positioned several feet off the ground, made Thomas aware of where the palace walls were. Another very striking source of light was the golden tip of a rod that shone like a lighthouse in the midst of darkness. The gates in the wall were open, and the rod was positioned outside the fortress about a hundred feet from them.

Noelle was waiting for them, standing beside the rod, even from a distance Thomas could make out the blade of the battle axe and the wooden shield slung across the warrior's back. A huge black horse was beside her, trotting in place, very exited. The animal didn't look like a regular horse, it was a mount made for war, and the sound of its neigh startled him.