06 - Sleepy town (Mikaela)

Unbelievable, that was the word crossing Mikaela's mind in that exact moment

Unbelievable, that was the word crossing Mikaela's mind in that exact moment. First they met Santa Claus, not some old creepy man dressed in a shopping mall costume, but the genuine article. Afterward, they watched Noel being attacked by magical and terrifying enemies. Shortly after that, like an image coming out of a nightmare, came the snowmen, and now they had managed to break the magic scepter they were supposed to protect. Everything was just unbelievable.

"Are you happy now?" She asked Thomas, looking to the golden bracelet on her right forearm.

"I didn't plan any of this!" He tried to remove his bracelet, without any success. "This thing is stuck on me!"

"Is there any magic word for these things to open? I don't know, like heroes do in the comic books. Some of them activate their uniforms and devices with magic words. " Daniel suggested.

Laughing, Mikaela glared at the boy in the rock band shirt.

"We're not in a comic book."

"Well, we're not in a very different situation from a fantasy story either, are we?" He stuck his tongue out at her.

Did he just give me his tongue?

Mikaela was ready to respond when something else caught her eye. Outside the van, the blizzard began to pick up.

"I think we better get out of here." Thomas said, he seemed to have noticed the same as her and clearly shared her concerns. "We don't want a new encounter with the snowmen, right?"

Daniel didn't even need an invitation, and after struggling a bit with the engine, managed to bring the vehicle to life. They entered Cleston through the main street and Mikaela felt a tightness in her chest when her eyes found people left in the streets, all lying on the ground, sitting on benches in a square or even inside their cars stopped in the middle of the street.

"It's the same thing we saw back at the party..." Thomas murmured, and she heard a tremor in his voice.

"Do you think those monsters are already here?" She started looking for signs of them.

The blonde didn't answer, instead he took his cell phone out of the pocket of his jacket and tried to call someone, probably his family. She did the same, calling her mother. He realized that Daniel was also dialing a number on his cell phone, and after a few seconds, the three exchanged worried glances.

"No one picked up?" Mikaela ventured a guess.

"Mail box. " Daniel sounded worried. "My uncle rarely lets that happen."

"I also couldn't talk to my uncle or my brother." Thomas said.

Daniel drove slowly and carefully, dodging other cars as well as people who had passed out in the middle of the street. Mikaela recognized some of them, like her neighbor and coach, Mr. Barnes. He looked like he was sleeping with his face buried in the hot dog cart in front of City Hall, two cops were slumped behind him.