03 - Bitter Withdrawal (Mikaela)

Mikaela missed many things she did with her father

Mikaela missed many things she did with her father. Particularly now, she missed the hours they'd watched the wildlife channel on cable. Why have I never paid attention to the shows?

She wondered that as she struggled not to scream and run. Approaching her and her colleagues, with firm and determined steps, was the biggest wolf she had seen in her entire life.

The animal was almost sixteen feet tall, fur so black that it stood out even in the darkness of the forest, its eyes were the color of blood and its teeth so sharp that she was sure they could tear through stone.

The huge wolf terrified and mesmerized with a strange predatory beauty. Mikaela tried, but found that looking away from that majestic figure was a very difficult thing to do.

"Do any of you have a plan? Any suggestions on how we can get out of here alive?" She whispered to Thomas and Daniel. Although that seemed like a silly idea, since the wolf was less than ten feet from them.

Neither boy spoke, out of the corner of her eye she noticed that they both looked like human statues. Okay, I guess I'm going to have to take the lead.

Dozens of ideas came to mind, and none of them sounded good enough. She needed to act soon, before the wolf included them to the evening's menu.

Keep your eye on the ball and focus on the game.

Mikaela remembered the advice her father had given her since she started playing baseball at the age of six. She used to think too much before each match and it ruined her performance. But when she started to follow Jacob Dawson's guidelines, everything became much easier.

Mikaela took a deep breath, she knew that facing a direwolf wasn't the same thing as winning a game, but she needed to stay focused and analyze the situation as calmly as she could. Only then did she notice something very interesting. The wolf stared straight ahead as he approached, only he didn't seem to be looking at them. Something fluttering in her neck caught her attention and she looked down. The Christmas candy cane on her necklace was shaking and looking very close to exploding.

She grabbed and squeezed Thomas and Daniel's hands tightly. They both looked at her with eyes wide with fear. Before they could say anything to her, she released their hands, and with a finger under her lips, asked for silence. Then she pointed to the candy hanging around her neck and whispered.

"I don't think he can see us." Then, moving her head to the right, added. "Quickly, follow me."

Moving with as much speed as caution would allow, she dragged the boys to one side, making sure the wolf didn't bump into them. As she imagined, the huge monster moved on without noticing them. It was as if he couldn't even hear them. Somehow, to the wolf, they just weren't there.

"But how... ?" Thomas asked, dumbfounded.

"I think it's those Christmas candies." Mikaela again pointed to her necklace, where the small cane was still trembling. "Remember what he said before he pushed us?" She looked back at the clearing where Santa Claus was still fighting.