episode 22 - not over

- Tick, tock, tick, tock... The clock is ticking, Batman — a wicked smile appears on his lips —It's just you and me in this game.

The lights, now transformed into lasers, aim at the board, preventing my passage or any movement on my part. Aerial drones emerge, two of them, targeting me.

- This is not a game, Nygma. Lives of people are at risk, millions of them. You can do something about it, something important, by saving those lives. Save them, Nygma. You have the chance to do the right thing — I stare at him, standing tall.

- Hahaha!! — in response, he laughs mockingly —A chance, huh? I'll give you a chance, Batman, no! In fact, twelve chances, just like twelve months, twelve steps to save the city... —I narrow my eyes — ... But you'll have to hurry because while we're talking here — I strike my cane against the floor —they're preparing jets that will be en route to our beautiful home — your smile and expression disgust me. I return my cane to its initial position —now, here are the rules... I'll give you a riddle, if you guess it correctly, one of these lovely lasers —I eye the red lines of light near me —will be deactivated, allowing you to advance one square on the board. But if you get it wrong... They have a second order: to send a signal to one of my weather balloons, which will be sent to the city with the order, and well, it will throw quite a devastating party, you can bet on that. Shall we begin?

- Enough of this. We both know this game is lost. There are too many riddles, there won't be enough time to answer them before the jets arrive!

- He will indeed! But that, my dear detective, that depends solely on you. How clever are you? Is the Dark Knight of Gotham everything the fame claims him to be? — I raise an eyebrow—To save this city, you just have to answer this: What is it, what is it, Batman...

POV NARRATOR

Gordon emerges with the tactical team.
He approaches Lucius, who is sitting on the edge of the van, and above, on the rooftop, Selina is perched, with one leg folded and chin raised.

- Lucius! Did you get any signal? Any contact with the outside world?—The police captain approaches Fox.

- Nothing... The Riddler has cast a net over the city. I can't reach anyone.— he responds.

- And where is Batman? —Selina asks anxiously.

- Pursuing the Riddler.

- Did he find him?

- We don't know. He had a hunch. We trust that he's now with Nygma —she descends from the rooftop, standing alongside the men.

- Then we have a chance —Gordon's eyes wander around —We have time to figure out a way to delay the jets —he turns to the leader of the tactical team —Do you have a flare gun? I'll find a way to signal them that Batman is with the Riddler.

- How do you know?

- He better be —he turns to Lucius —Lucius, with the coil destroyed, is there any way to find another conductor for the disruptor?

- I'll work on the disruptor —Lucius stands up with clenched fists —Gordon, you go up there and control the airspace. The squad leader continues trying to establish contact with Fort Robbins base in case Batman manages to take down the communication grid —the two nod —and you —he points to Selina —I need your help with something —his legs start moving as he walks away.

Selina stares at his back, raising an eyebrow.

POV BATMAN

- ... Aren't the lights mesmerizing, Batman? It's almost tropical. Makes me want to dance—he jokes, balancing his cane on his fingertips.