episode 18 - year zero

I get out of bed. I see that serum is being placed in my veins. I remove the needle and put my hand on my head. How did I get here?

I see that I am in a teenager's or child's room. There are dinosaur drawings on the old-looking walls next to the messy room.

I get up from the bed, which is actually a mattress on the wooden floor, I walk away from the room. I go straight to the kitchen, seeing a child filling the crossword of the newspaper with a pencil. And a boy. Black, I would kick that he is 11 to 13 years old. I look around looking for someone responsible for him but there is no one, only him.

-Where am I?—I ask.

-In my house —answer without turning around—you talk while you sleep. It makes a lot of noise even—complains.

-Who are you? —I arch the eyebrow.

-I'm Duke. A pleasure —he turn with the expression as if he was bored.

-Bruce Wayne.

-Oh, I know who you are. The billionaire playboy —turns his attention to the crossword puzzles.

-yeah... Everyone recognizes me for this title.

I walk on the wooden floor that makes pops, directing me to the table where he is sitting. I sit in a chair in front of him.

-How long did I sleep?—I ask.

-Since the new year, when I found you passed out.

-New year? It was summer as far as I can remember.

-Yes. But things have changed. A new calendar was placed for the city.

-Who put it?

-Mr. Nygma. He's the one in charge of the city now. Nothing, no leaf, moves without his permission and will.

-What?

I get up going to the window. I pull to the side the cloth used as a curtain. I see the city, completely taken over by the vegetation. Abandoned and cracked buildings, areas of the city transformed into flowing rivers. Probably the result of the floods. I see the big screens in the city center, connected with the purple question mark with a green background and weather balloons floating through the skies.

-Welcome to Year Zero, Mr. Wayne, welcome to the city of the Riddler.

[...]