Chapter 14: Reviving Past 1

Birthday! 

Nicholas' birthday was one of the things he wished never existed. Why was he born? Why did his mother leave him? She left him on his birthday, telling him she wanted to get him his favourite cake after he pestered her that was what he wanted for his birthday, yet she never came back again. And her death was also announced on his birthday, making every one of his birthdays a bad day for him. 

A whole week that Diana had been hiding from him. If he said he wasn't irritated or irked by this hide-and-seek, it would be a blatant lie. He didn't know what he had done wrong. He just wanted to make it right, and his stepsister was not an option because he couldn't take her teasing for now. 

Nicholas didn't give up, knocking and trying to make Diana open up and tell him what was happening, but due to the coming day and his needing to visit the burial ground and meet his father. 

He stopped at her door, wanting to knock and inform her he wouldn't be around for two days because he needed to see his mom as usual and meet his father. He exhaled, turning back, then glanced back at the longing; maybe he should give her space. He thought and left with a heavy heart. 

Nicholas ordered his men to protect Diana and give her anything she wanted. He entered his car, unbuttoned his suit, and drove away from the house. 

His mother.

Elina De Luca Davis. A well-known painter from a young age. 

His mother left him on his birthday, and he blamed himself because he thought it was his fault, actually when it wasn't. His mother was pronounced dead on his same birthday. 

Nicholas did not blame his mom. His mom was a strong woman he knew. His mother deserved a happy life, and his mother made sure to get it before she died. 

After his mom was announced dead after missing for two years, they made a burial for his mom even with her body not found. He really hoped she was happy anywhere she was and hoped she remembered she left a son alone. 

Then his ten-year-old self left his father's house and stayed with his grandmother. Even Aunt Sally left the family because she couldn't accept the death of her twin sister. It was only his grandmother and Hugh family that was there for him. 

Nicholas drove along the road, speeding up to stop himself, not to wallow in the past and not to be emotional. He was going to become his family leader soon, he must know how to forgo, but some trauma wouldn't just go no matter how you wanted to forget it. 

He stopped at his father's house, the men greeted him, but he waved his hand. He entered to see the family preparing to have lunch. Ms Yuko walked to him in an apron while carrying a tray filled with snacks while he scoffed. 

“Brother Nick,” Evan ran to him and hugged his leg; Nicholas ruffled his head adorably before going to meet his father, who was eating uncared of his presence 

“Come and join,” ms yuko muttered, trying to touch his arm, but he moved away discreetly, which didn't go unnoticed by his father, making him drop his cutleries and frown. 

“Thank you, ms yuko,” he gave her a tight smile and joined the happy family. 

“What are you doing here?” 

“Thank you for the food,” he ignored his father, collecting the plate from Ms. 

“Don't you hear me!”

“Your food tastes nice as usual, Ms Yuko,” Nicholas complimented Ms Yuko as the shattered sound of broken resonated. Nicholas didn't flinch nor stop eating his food as he ignored every existence.