Chapter 13 : Surprise Went Wrong

Chapter 13

Diana had been stuck in her room for a whole week after her outburst in the hotel lobby. They didn't have time to explore the city as promised before coming back to New York the following day.

Her food and everything had been delivered to her doorstep. She didn't know how to face Nicolas after her episode. She didn't understand why she felt angry and needed to blame someone, maybe her cranky hormones. She was the one at fault for kissing him without any head up, and when she accepted his kiss when he pulled her again. And she intentionally taunted him so that he would let go because she didn't know how to respond, but the taunting backfires her.

Diana turned her embarrassment to anger and slapped the poor guy. She didn't even know how to apologise for her rash behaviour. She was flustered by allowing the second kiss, and the most embarrassing thing was the sound she released. God! She facepalmed herself, shaking her head to chase away the thought.

The kiss left her breathless, the one at the lobby and the kiss in the presence of his grandma. Her stomach always curled in excitement whenever she thought of how he swallowed her existence. She didn't find his kiss repulsive.

And something had been bothering her for two days. Nicholas had stopped coming to her door to ask for what he did wrong, even when he was definitely not at fault. And always apologise for what he did.

Although this house was always silent, not like the deadly silence it had been since two days ago that he had visited her. She didn't know who to ask, nor didn't catch any whiff of Carlos to interrogate and ask him.

Or is he already tired of her tantrum? She thought as she felt a throb in her chest. Then she decided to leave the room to sniff out what was happening.

Diana showered and got dressed, walking out of her room as she put her long red hair in a ponytail; she walked through the steps gently, tiptoeing, just to eavesdrop on anything that had been happening. She paused when she heard some hushing voices from the kitchen; she grinned cherishing and walked faintly to the door. She craned her head inside to see two maids peeling onions while the other was washing the dishes.

“It is already the time of the year,” A said with a sigh as she rinsed the plate. (AN: too lazy to be thinking of names.)

“Yeah,” B agreed immediately in a sad voice. What is the time of the year? Diana was confused, blinking as she focused on what they were discussing.

“Today is Master's birthday,” A let out before turning to B, “do you think the boss will come home today?”

“I don't think so—” B hummed.

"But we already have a lady in the house; maybe he might come home."

"the boss never celebrates his birthday—” her gossip was interrupted when the door was burst home by an excited-looking Diana.

Good! She has seen something to settle the long silence between them. She should celebrate his birthday for him, and he deserves a birthday cake. It had been a long time since she had baked cake, and she could use this as their second date. Brilliant! She clapped at her idea as the maids looked at her anxiously.

“You said today is Nicholas' birthday, right?” she turned to A, clamming her hands in hers while A felt uncomfortable.

“Yeah, but—” she stuttered, but Diana gave her no mind as she took the apron on the stand and began to put it on.

“My lady—” A tried to talk, but Diana stopped her and told them to get ready for making a surprise birthday for Nicholas. A gave up trying and obliged the lady's request.

Maybe this year would be different; both maids thought as they helped the lady.

Diana felt energetic the first time in the week, and she couldn't believe she would kill two birds with a stone—one by celebrating his birthday and the second by planning their second date.

She started mixing the batter while telling the two maids to buy some stuff from the market so she would be able to focus well on what she was doing. She felt nervous and uncomfortable with them watching her. She preferred cooking alone, having the kitchen space to herself.

After preparing hard, baking cake and decorating it, she cooked some simple homemade foods—her favourite food while keeping it in the back of her mind to ask him about what he liked and not.  

Diana and the maids worked in arranging the sitting room, putting balloons, string led light and confetti while beautifying everywhere. When she glanced at the time, she realised the time was gone and pretty late. She really hoped to wish him a happy birthday before midnight and the sky was grumbling, indicating it'd soon rain. She really hoped he arrived before it rained.

She thanked the maids for their help and told them to go to their rooms and thank them for their help and support before going back to her room to dress for the celebration.

Diana had planned everything out; after singing the birthday song for him and him making a wish, she would make a quick prayer for him. Then eat the cake while watching a movie and gist for the day.

She was dressed in a short knee blue gown with minimal makeup on. She checked the time again to see he was running late.

Diana scrolled down her phone to see she had never attempted to call or chat with him, and he was the only one who always called and struck up a conversation first. Usually, by now,  her phone was supposed to be blaring with stickers and notifications from him.

She saw Bella's number, and her eyes twinkled at her voice. It had been a long time since she heard from her.

“Hello,” she greeted in a meek voice; she tapped her contact and called her impromptu before later knowing the time she was called Bella.

“Hi, D,” Bella's voice greeted in an excited tone, “how are you, friend?”

“I'm fine, thank you. And you?”

“Never been better.” Bella laughed as the clanking sound could be heard in the background.

“Are you busy?”

“Definitely, no!” Belle screamed before muttering sorry.

“Okay, I want to ask what you think about giving Nicholas a surprise birthday?” Diana rushed out, feeling blush covering her neck and face flusteredly.

“No!”

“No?”

“I mean, do not celebrate his—”

“I'll call you later; I'm so sorry,” Diana bowed her head a little in apology even though Bella wouldn't see her gesture.

She hung up, cutting her discussion with Bella abruptly when she heard the front door open; she threw the phone on the couch before carrying the cake to surprise him but was met with a dishevelled and drunk Nicholas, who was helped in by Carlos.

The light was on as programmed, and a happy birthday song was played, but the man she wanted to surprise wasn't in his right mind.

“I hate him!” Diana heard Nicholas yell angrily, pushing Carlos's hand away as he stumbled, water droplets tickled on the floor. His cloth was drenched from the rain.  Carlos looked at Diana, nodding at her, then at the dimly lighted room, shaking his head before leaving Nicholas alone with Diana.

"Tigrotta!" He smiled brightly even though his face was white and lips were pale while Diana scoffed internally, gripping the cake board tightly. "I see my Tigrotta," he murmured, squinted his eyes, "are my eyes playing tricks on me?” he chuckled, walking wobbly to her and pinching her cheeks with his cold hands.

“She's real!” he whipped his head to the back, then turned and said, "Tigrotta is not any more with “I'm sorry, I didn't know what I did—” and blegh, he vomited on Diana's body.

~**~

How was the chapter?
Vote
Comment
Follow
Share
Thank you for reading ♥

Royhan 💕