Chapter 9: FIRST DATE.

  Nicholas had added a clause to the contract. Within the three months of cohabiting together, they should go on a date ten times before they get married so that they would know more about each other. Six dates would be organised by Nicholas, while three dates would be managed by Diana, and the last day would be a week before their fake wedding.

So today was their first date that would be organised by Nicholas. Diana had woken up late after surfing the internet late last night. Diana never knew there was life outside the phone. Tiktok and reels were really amazing; she could spend hours watching funny videos and lose track of time. Thanks to Belle for showing her a different world.

Diana sluggishly parted from her bed as she yawned loudly, using her palm to cover her mouth. She looked at the small clock to see she had woken up past ten. Diana saw a note on the bedside, rubbing the tiredness from her eyes.

She swooned over Nicholas's cursive and legible handwriting. He showed his elegance and literacy, unlike her handwriting, which was a pure disaster.

Princess,

I hope you don't forget today is our first date. I'm happy (grinning emoji)
I didn't have the mind to disturb your beautiful sleep; you look so innocent when sleeping.

See you soon. The driver will come to pick you up, get ready.

Your handsome man.

Diana tsked, smoothening the note before adding it to the collection of notes she had kept. She did her usual thirty minutes of exercise in her room before going to the shower. The time Diana had been using the internet had been clashing with her time. She yawned again, packing her ginger hair in a ponytail.

    After changing, she went to the kitchen and made a simple breakfast/ lunch for herself. She went to the sitting room, pulled the stool closer and placed the tray on it as she scoped her oat in the spoon to put it in her mouth. Carlos walked in with three ladies. Those ladies were in uniform as they carried what seemed like shopping bags in. Diana dropped the spoon and returned Carlos' greetings with the ladies while waiting for Carlos to talk.

“Bo– Nicholas orders them to come to dress you for the dinner date,” Carlos said, smiling dimly.

“Now?” Diana asked and raised her head to check the grandfather wall clock, which showed some minutes past twelve. “You mean to get ready for a dinner date by noon?” she inquired exasperatedly.

“That's what —” Diana dismissed him.

“I understand," she sighed, turning back to her meal, "at least I should finish what I'm eating.”

***

Nicholas skimmed through the compiled document his co-worker was able to draft from the investigation and the defendant’s wife. He removed his glasses, rubbing his eyes tiredly as he stretched his stiff neck.

He looked to his side to see his partner already looking at him, and he motioned with his head for her to move closer. His partner just came back from a two-week vacation.

Everything was messed up.

“What do you think?”

“The accuser is intentionally dragging this case to me as if they wanted to cover something,” his partner- Lucy, responded, opening to a page in the document.

“Why?” he inquired. Lucy was one of the best lawyers out there, very passionate about helping the less privileged people against the riches. It was like she had a prejudice against them.

“The Benson family aren't allowing any visitors for now, and the maids are sketchy and suspicious to me. So they must have something in the casket,” she concluded, her brows furrowed while using the end of her pen to scratch her hair.