chapter 17

insouciant
(adj.) free from worry, concern,
or anxiety.

here's my small holiday gift to you after not updating in months. it's short but it's something.

=================

What is love? Well, that's a simple question to answer for most people; but, you're not like most people.. are you?
Is love dictated entirely by fate and do humans have very little control over it?
Is love a connection to something greater than ourselves, or the thing that shows us who we really are?

Or is it vanity, selfishness, amour-propre, and egotism?

     When she woke up in a crystal cave, she thought it was a dream.

     Nya wandered the tunnels with pure curiosity. She didn't know where she was or what she was doing, but it felt like gravity was pulling her deeper into the cave. She approached a crystal and it flashed almost a million jumbled images into her mind in a second. They showed her the past and the future.
    She saw an old timeline, that she once lived in. She saw herself, she talked to herself.

Her mind was erased, everyone's was. Time reset itself.

Concealed identities, high school, old friends.. It seems like paradise.

...but, everything seemed to clamber back together and nothing seemed clear anymore. How did the timeline reset and why? It almost seemed like she wasn't supposed to live this type of life: fighting alien enemies and having another adventure after the other; never seeming to catch a break.
    Having a life, going to school, making new friends felt real.

Which universe is real and which one is meant to be?

"I can't believe you didn't tell me, Jay," Lyzzie said while she crossed her arms and shook her head. "You kept that secret for so long without telling me."

"Well, you kept a secret from me— a pretty big one too— and so I guess you could say we're even."
"Dude," Lyzzie got up from her bed and paced the room. "That's totally different."

"How so? First you lie to me, and then you let Cole stay with us!" Jay yelled.

   "Okay, why does it matter? I can help whoever I want."

Jay snapped and banged his fist against the wall. "It matters because we were just fine together! Alone!"

  Her gaze turned deadly, her blood boiling over. "It's literally an apocalypse outside and you want to go out there?'

  The bedroom door creaked open, and Cole strode into the room with a cheeky grin on his face. "What's up, drama kings and queens? Did I miss the unveiling of some secret society meeting?"

   Jay groaned and glared at Cole, while Lyzzie rolled her eyes. "You have no idea what you're walking into," Jay muttered.

   "Nah, man," Cole said with a mouthful of candy, raising his hands in mock surrender. "I'm just an innocent man caught in the crossfire of your drama."