Chapter twenty: Leaving.

After the accident, Atlas decided he needed time away from school. He had been through something traumatic. And he needed get away, so he decided to back home, the school year was ending, and today is the day he is leaving.

When he first told Alice he was leaving she was against it, Atlas was afraid to see his mother, and Alice wanted to go with him to take care of him, so reluctantly he agreed to invite her.

Now here they were, Alice was standing there, her curly black hair down to her shoulders, she was wearing a black dress, boots, and hat, she giggled as they sat at the train station with luggage in their hands.

He sat besides her with a smile, he had spoke to his mother only once before the visit

A week ago
April twenty-first 2024

Atlas shakily picked up the phone, he felt his heart racing in his chest almost as if he was on the verge of tears.

He slowly began to type in his mothers phone number, he hoped this wouldn't be a mistake. He wanted to come for the summer, to see her, and to make amends with her.

The phone rang for a few moment, suddenly he heard a click of the phone being answered, for a moment it was just silence, then he heard breathing, then he heard his mothers voice. Soft and as kind as he remembered.

He loved his mother, despite the things she had done. He often tried to think about the way he saw her before Amber, when he was only thirteen.

She was beautiful, with black hair and kind freckles, and fair skin.

He loved everything about her.

"hello? Atlas?"

Her voice was shaky, she sounded like she was going to cry. She had been thinking of him too, and he knew it.

"mom...?"

He whispered back softly, putting his hand over his mouth as he held back tears. He had missed her more then he had imagined. And what he needed now was his mother.

"oh Atlas. My love. What's going on? Why are you calling? Is everything ok"

He took a deep breath, his body still trembling.

"Me and my best friend Alice want to come visit for the summer."

He managed to whisper.

She was grateful to hear this.

"Great. I'll prepare your bedroom, and the guest bedroom. For you and your friend, and I can't wait to see you atlas.

And now here he was, at the train Station with Alice, climbing aboard the red train and taking his seat, he leaned his head back and watched as the scenery past right by them, he closed his eyes, drifting asleep while staring out the window.

When he finally woke up it was only because Alice had woken up, she grabbed him by his hand and pulled him out of his seat and out of the Train, as they stepped out into the crowded train station atlas saw his mother, she ran to him, looking only slightly older with a few more grey hairs then he had remembered.

She pulled him into a tight hug, as atlas finally pulled away and looked around, he saw his childhood best friend standing there.

James Milton.

He was the prettiest boy anyone had ever seen, with curly black hair, it was silky smooth and perfectly soft along his head, and his eyes were emerald grin and shimmered in the sunlight, and not to mention his pearly white smile.

He was Atlas's first and only crush on a guy, and he was overjoyed to see Atlas, he rushed to him and pulled him deep into a hug, he held Atlas tight.

James was about a foot taller then Atlas, atlas's head nuzzled into his chest, and atlas couldn't resist smelling the boy, he was sweet and manly like vanilla cologne had doused his skin, atlas looked up at him and felt pink covering his cheeks.

"James..."

"Atlas! I've heard you come to stay for the summer, your mom said I could come pick you up from the station"

James had a slight British accent as that was where he's was from, he had lived there until he was 7, that's around when he came and moved next door To atlas.

"This is gonna be a great summer"

"Are you ready to leave, Atlas?"

Alice stood protectively besides him, ready to leave.

"I'm ready."

"Then let's leave this fucked up place behind."