Chapter Six

The lifeless, mangled remains of the biter remained sprawled out in the corridor, while a cloud of flies converged, drawn to the putrid odor. The scent of decaying flesh permeated the atmosphere, growing increasingly intolerable.

Likeminded, Brooklyn and Samuel spread a bed sheet over the body. Blood soaked into the sheet, immediately turning it from a bright clean white into a dark gruesome red.

Together they struggled to lift the body, sluggishly heaving the corpse to the balcony, taking short breaks to catch their timid breaths. Samuel slid the door open, their bodies became sore and weak from the strain. The couple managed to drag the corpse through the open door.

The cold winters wind flowed through their hair. Samuel's frozen face was full of guilt, with the help of Brooklyn they remorsefully lifted the body over the railing. Unable to watch, they squinted their eyes as a loud thud echoed through the tight side alley.

As of it was scripted a thunderous bang echoed across the city, closely followed by large droplets of heavy rain. The sky became a dark angry grey. Cowering from the rain, Brooklyn quickly stepped inside. Samuel gazed up at the angry clouds, allowing the rain to hit his face. He tightly shut his eyes taking in a deep breath.

Another booming lighting strike hit the earth nearby, vibrating the floor. The gnawing teeth from the biter he had mutilated repeatedly replayed in his mind. Gradually opening his depressed eyes Samuel stood still, watching the rain hit his face, as if he was in slow motion.

Distant deathly groans echoed through the city. Grabbing Samuel's attention, he stepped towards the balcony railing, leaning over, his eyes scanned the darkened streets below, searching for the source of the distant groans. The rain poured heavily, creating a veil of mist and obscuring his view. But as he peered through the thick droplets, he saw them.

Emerging from the shadows of alleyways and converging upon the streets, a large horde of biters began to slowly limp by. Their gaunt figures, draped in tattered and torn clothing, moved in unison, their steps labored and disjointed. The horde seemed endless, stretching far beyond what Samuel's eyes could perceive. Their movements were agonizingly sluggish, as if they were burdened by the weight of their own decomposition.

Their groans filled the air, a symphony of despair and hunger that echoed through the rain-soaked streets. It was a chilling sound, a chorus of lost souls trapped in an eternal torment, their insatiable hunger driving them forward. Each step they took brought them closer to the living, a threat lurking within their slow and relentless march.

The rain continued to fall, drenching the dead as they shuffled forward. Their sunken faces turned upward, seemingly unaffected by the downpour. Samuel's breath caught in his throat as he watched the horde pass beneath his vantage point. He could almost feel their empty gazes upon him, their collective desire for the living tangible in the air.

With a heavy heart, he stepped back from the balcony, as he closed the door behind him, the sounds of the dead slowly faded into the distance, yet their presence remained etched into Samuel's mind. The rain continued to pour, a somber backdrop to the encroaching darkness that had enveloped the city.

Samuel was soaked from the rain, unbothered by his freezing body temperature he mentioned, "I'm going to search the rooms for food."

"Can I help?" Brooklyn asked.

Samuel nodded his head agreeing, "Just be careful."

With Brooklyn following closely behind, Samuel stepped into the hallway. His knife was laying flat on the ground, the flickering light reflecting off the shiny blade, and the red blood.

Crouching low to the ground, he slowly picked up the knife, his fingers tightly wrapping around the handle. He stared at the blood covered blade, wiping it clean on the carpet.