CHAPTER 45 - Only One

Bangkok, Thailand - Flashback (2 years earlier)

Lisa's P.O.V.

"Dad, do you need some more water?" I asked, pouring another glass from the water jug on the table as he tried to sit up in the hospital bed.

He winced in pain as I held him to sit, resting his back against a pillow. "I'm okay, Lisa. You don't need to fuss over me, that's my job. Just sit next to me and tell me about your day."

I pulled a plastic chair from beside the window to sit beside his bedside. "It was fine. I did get asked to compete in a regional dance talent show next month. I get to plan my own choreography."

He cheered for me so happily despite the pain he was in. "That's great news! I'm proud of you."

"Thanks dad." Hearing my dad say he was proud of me always meant the world.

"Have you told your mother?" He asked and I just rolled my eyes.

"No, you know she's not interested in my dance sessions." I muttered. My father was aware that over the years my relationship with my mother had become estranged.

"It might be nice if maybe you gave her a call. I'm sure she misses you."

"She left us." He could see the hurt in my eyes that had been engrained over the years.

"No she left me, not you. Your her daughter and she cares about you."

"She didn't talk to us for years, she left you when you needed her!" I argued but my father was always calm, more so since he'd been in hospital and knew his time was limited.

"We can't make people stay if they're unhappy."

It broke my heart to hear him say those words but I knew he was right. My mother hadn't been happy and they got divorced. If she'd have stayed and they'd been unhappy forever, that wouldn't have been right either.

"How do you always see the good in every situation?" I asked as he smiled tiredly.

"Through trying to understand my own mistakes and having a lot of patience. People experience that at different times in their lives."

He suddenly started to cough, over and over again as I held him sit up more and handed him the water. He managed a small sip before taking deep breaths.

"I just want you to get better then we can go home." I said as he glanced at me sadly.

"You know what the doctor said, me getting better... it's very unlikely."

"That doesn't mean it's not possible." I whispered. Tears began to roll down my cheeks as he held my hand.

"Hey... I know this is hard, I love you so much." I wanted to believe he'd get better, that things would be okay instead of facing the reality as I looked at him so frail like he was fading away.

"I love you too. I don't want to be alone without you." Gently, he wiped away my tears.

"You won't be alone, Lisa. I'll always be with you and I'll watch over you. It's never really goodbye. You'll live a wonderful life with your own family one day."

I shook my head. "I doubt that."

I couldn't ever imagine myself being with anyone in the future. The thought of losing someone else I cared for, the possibility that might happen was overwhelming.

From my bag, I got out a copy of the prospectus for Seoul International Academy and showed it to him. "This is the college Rosé applied to, there's a good possibility I might be able to get a scholarship for next year."