CHAPTER 44 - Next To You

Sunday 2pm (2 weeks later)

Lisa's P.O.V.

The days became endless after that night. Nothing was the same. The stars were hidden, the sun shone less, the birds refused to sing. Minutes turned to hours, hours to days and Jennie still hadn't woken up.

Everything felt empty without her like my whole world had fallen apart.

As I lay beside Jennie in the hospital bed, I stared at her beautiful face wishing to see her staring back. Hoping she felt peaceful. She had a breathing mask around her nose and mouth that was attached to a machine measuring her heart rate and a drip connected to her arm.

That night in Jeju her heart had stopped but the paramedics were there just in time as she was rushed to the nearest hospital in town. After a week of little progress in her condition, she was transfered to the intensive care unit in Seoul to receive further treatment. All the time, I never left her side.

From the side table covered with get well soon cards and vases of flowers, I reached for my phone dialing and listening to her voice as I stared at her beside me. "Hey, it's Jennie! Leave a message and I'll get back to you, bye!"

I felt a tear roll down my cheek, dialing again. "Hey, it's Jennie! Leave a message and I'll get back to you, bye!"

It was comforting, hearing the sweet tone of her voice. "Hey, it's Jennie! Leave a message and I'll get back to you, bye!"

It filled the empty silence, hearing her happy and cheerful as I continued to play the message over and over again on repeat. How I wished for another chance to tell her how much she meant to me as I stared at the background photo of my phone.

 How I wished for another chance to tell her how much she meant to me as I stared at the background photo of my phone

After that night, Irene hadn't been heard from. The news declared she was taking a break from the group and had travelled overseas but that was all that was mentioned. I didn't care where, all I thought of was Jennie.

I wiped my tears with my sleeve and sat up on the edge of the bed. In the time Jennie had been hospital, I'd began reading the diaries she'd been keeping. I suppose it was another way of still hearing her voice and, though my heart continued to break, I needed those comforting words that only she could give.

It all seemed so nostalgic. Someone else I loved slowly slipping away. Carefully, I picked up Jennie's book from my bag and began to read another beautiful passage.

Jagiya,

Do you remember when we first met? I think of that moment all the time. I say it like it was a long time ago but I guess it wasn't and yet so much has changed. That day I was watching you from afar, your beauty was captivating. But it wasn't just that. You had an attitude, a confidence but you seemed lost too and I could relate to that. I wanted to know you better because I saw a some of my own emotion in you. I thought I'd found someone who finally understood me and to this day I still believe you're that person.