Chapter 31: Rising Powers

October 17, 2226.

Life on the Citadel always seemed so detached from the rest of the galaxy, Jane couldn't help but notice. At least on Earth the debate over the two wars that the Federation was fighting at the moment were present and heartfelt, but on the space station it seemed like they were just a distant concern. She wasn't surprised, though: growing up at the imperial court, she knew that it was important to keep the heart of power at ease. The matters of the gruesome fights happening on the frontline had to be kept as far as possible from the eyes on the Citadel.

And especially because the galaxy was about to see a drastic shift in its landscape.

The Spectres had confirmed that somebody in the Terminus was funding the Tambaran, who were now resisting on Korlus, and a larger investigation had found a trail going back to the Citadel itself. It was up to Jane and her crew to find who was the Tambaran contact on the station.

For now, her first hint was a diplomat named Barney Rouzrok, who had been found out having a secret bank account and several generous unaccounted transactions in his favor. It was time to get to the bottom of this.

With her authority as Spectre and Imperial Emissary, Jane had C-SEC arrest Rouzrok and put him into an interrogation room. The woman entered and found one of her colleagues: a Turian named Lycus Tarrit.

"Ah, Shepard. Just in time."

"Nice to see you too, Tarrit. Did he say anything already?"

The diplomat didn't seem that intimidated, at least not until he recognized Jane and looked at her walking on the side of the chair opposite to Lycus. "Do you realize who we are?" she asked to the prisoner.

"I know who you are." he replied, keeping his tone collected. "But you wouldn't dare touch me. I'm a member of the Foreign Ministry and..."

To shut him, Jane quickly took out the pistol and pointed it at his nose. "Listen here." she whispered in a threatening tone. "First of all, you are a traitor and we all know it. They send us because we are not tied down by rules."

 The implications were clear: Jane and Lycus could torture him if they wanted, and Rouzrok caught it up very quickly

The implications were clear: Jane and Lycus could torture him if they wanted, and Rouzrok caught it up very quickly. However, not in the way that Jane expected.

"Sure. Go on, I don't care what happens to me." he said in a tone that wasn't perhaps much brave, but it showed a solid resolution. "My job is already done anyway."

Jane had assumed that the man was only a slimy bureaucrat who had betrayed his country for more money than he actually needed to live, given his prestigious job, but now she started to think that he really had a much higher motive. "What was your job?" she asked.

"Doing my part against the corrupted oligarchy that controls this nation of exploiters."

Jane and Lycus looked at each other with a confused frown. The Turian stepped forward and made next question. "What are you talking about? The ones controlling the Federation are the Empress and the Council, and they don't exploit anyone."