Chapter 6: Jump into the Unknown

February 27.

Followed by the Constantinople, the Normandy was the first to leave hyperspace in front of the Utegetu Nebula.

 Shepard was on the bridge, looking outside of the viewport while Mazak steered the Normandy toward one of the few access paths inside the colorful mass of gas

"Welcome to the Utegetu Nebula." the Zabrak commented. "Home to fourteen inhabitable planets and gateway for the Unknown Regions."

"Remind me again why is this the limit of galactic civilization in Andromeda?" Jane asked, unsure whether she remembered the explanation from the Codex.

"Well, because hyperspace travel can only happen if the path in front of you it's clear. On this side of the galaxy, we gradually mapped the main routes and the database for our navicomputers are constantly updated by the Bureau of Ships and Services, which, surprisingly, despite now being a nationalized imperial society, still grants everybody access to the maps. Even to the New Republic."

"Now that's what I call surprising." Jane quipped.

"Yeah, but don't forget that, if they deny the nations of the UACT access to their database, then it means that imperial ships would have a hard time navigating those systems, as well, thus preventing them from recapturing said planets."

Jane hummed in understanding. "So why the Unknown Regions are still uncharted?"

"Because hyperspace lanes there shift continuously. Between gravitational anomalies, supernovas exploding at random and propelling new objects in the way...it's called 'the Chaos' for a reason."

"So it's impossible to establish permanent lanes?"

"There are a few that are more or less stable, but they are still a hassle to navigate. So even after tens of thousands of years since the foundation of the Republic, the galactic community never really pushed into that part of the galaxy. The frontier worlds do have some form of contact with the local species. For example, I had already heard about the Chiss like Thrawn."

"And the Kett are new to you, as well?"

"Absolutely. I never saw anything like them."

"Shepard, the Constantinople is in position and waiting." EDI announced.

"Tell them to stay vigilant. Our imperial counterparts should be here shortly."

EDI transmitted the orders and now the crew could only wait. Jane decided to descend to Deck 3 and take a quick drink, cause she felt she was going to need it for whatever was going to happen next. And it was in the Port observatory that she found Garrus and Tali doing the same while talking.

"...all the way to another galaxy and we're going to jump into a region that even here is completely unknown." the Turian was noting in his usual ironic tone.