Chapter 29: Rescue

October 7, 2226.

Jordan kept looking at the planet below. Down there, into an imperial research complex that the scanners had already identified two days ago, his daughter was locked up into some cell, if not strapped to an operating table and submitted to gods knew what kind of experiments.

But that was about to end. The Liberator Task Force was waiting outside of Denevar. After the raid on Null, just as Ezra had hoped, the imperials had been forced to redirect most of the resources of the Northern Fringe into the Hydian Front, which left the rescue fleet pretty much unchallenged as they carefully traveled toward Jaral's prison.

There were a Star Destroyer, three Arquitens and a Victory II cruisers in orbit. The only space station was a small dockyard to refuel the ships and it probably hosted a small patrol of TIEs, but aboard the ships there were probably dozens of fighters ready for launch.

 The only space station was a small dockyard to refuel the ships and it probably hosted a small patrol of TIEs, but aboard the ships there were probably dozens of fighters ready for launch

"Cloaking device engaged, Captain." Rut said from his seat. "Doesn't look like they know we are here."

"Copy that." Jordan said, then turned around as he had heard heavy footsteps on the main walkway.

There stood Gutierrez, in full armor, who halted next to the main hatch. "The squads and the vehicles are all ready, Jordan. We're waiting your signal."

Jordan made a firm nod. "Get ready, then. We'll drop as soon as the main relay is destroyed."

Gutierrez turned around and hurried back to the elevator.

Rut was setting the Constantinople for full combat readiness. "Of all things, I never thought I would have to make a dive bombing with a frigate." he commented.

"There is a first time for everything, my friend. You think you can pull it off?" the Legionnaire asked with regard.

"Oh, I can. If we crash on the surface, blame Jinx." Rut quipped.

Jordan made a smirk. His crew was prepared to do anything, just like he was, to retake Jaral. He then turned to the same AI. "Jinx, is the Liberator in position?"

"Affirmative. Ezra and Darvos already gave their green light. I will signal them whenever you deem it opportune."

"Then it's time. Rut, go past that fleet and prepare to strike." he concluded.

As the Constantinople moved to reach the surface and launch a surprise missile strike on the comm relay of the lab, Jordan reached the hangar. There, most of his marines, led by Gutierrez, Ahsoka and her two Padawans, were preparing to disembark once the frigate hit the ground. Meanwhile, Jordan would lead Thabo, Michalina and a small team with the dropship that would anticipate the general assault and find an opening to hold until the main force made planetside.

Ahsoka and Gutierrez would instead secure the landing zone that had been designated: the base just happened to be in the middle of an open plain, with a mountain range a few km on the western side. A river ran on the southern side, but in the north-western quadrant it was all open plain with basically no natural obstacle. The imperials knew it, and there were at least three lines of defense that needed to be broken through. The marines of the Constantinople had to establish a beachhead and keep the imperials occupied while the transports in orbit dropped the first shock troopers.