Chapter 10: Cold Truth

April 4.

"We're approaching Voeld. The planet is on the sensors." Rut announced on the bridge of the Constantinople.

"Any ship around the planet?" Jordan asked.

"We detect at least three Kett heavy cruisers, twenty escort ships and multiple transports. They must really want this pile of snow."

"Voeld is one of the few safe harbors in Haeleus and is rich in resources. It is no surprise that the Kett crave it." Jaal explained.

Jordan took a look at him and the small team of unexpected guests aboard his ship: Darvos and Scott Shepard. The former was here to negotiate with the local angara commander and offer the support of the two galactic factions in exchange for the establishment of an outpost; the latter was there for the adventure, and to accompany his father, who right now was waiting in the hangar bay.

"Soon the Angara will return to benefit from it." Darvos reassured. "Jordan, take us in. Cautiously."

"You heard him Rut?" Jordan said nonchalantly.

"Jinx is calculating a safe path. Preparing to go in." the salarian helmsman replied.

"The Resistance signaled us a gorge near their main operation base where we can safely land the Constantinople." the AI announced.

"Then take it." Jordan said to the two, then turned toward the rest of the team. "Let's get ready to drop."

They headed into the hangar bay and grabbed their gear while the frigate went through some turbulence due to the snowstorm happening outside, but after a few minutes she landed with no major inconvenience. With Jaal leading the way, Jordan was at the head of the rest of the group and when the ramp lowered, they could taste the wrath of the cold in force.

"Damn it's freezing." Scott commented.

"Check out your vital support. We need to find somewhere warmer." Jordan instructed.

"This way." Jaal pointed toward what seemed like a trail, though it was hard to distinguish in the blizzard.

There was a trail of red lights put by the resistance, that the group used to go onto the trail, pass a small crevice and finally reach the first outpost. The two angara guards recognized Jaal, and it was a good thing he was there, cause they had pointed guns at the aliens almost immediately. After clearing that these were allies, the sentinels let them through.

 Jaal led them through a landing area for the few air vehicles the Angara had left in their arsenal and the soldiers of the Alliance admired their resilience

"A base hidden under a ton of ice and snow." Darvos commented, humming in thought after that.

"Definitely a perfect place to set a secret base." Scott added.

"It has worked so far." Jaal commented plainly. "The Kett never found us in years. Though we do have other settlements around the planet."

Jordan heard Darvos mumble "Interesting."