Chapter 25: Rats

The current was strong, much more than what it looked like from afar. Jaral struggled a lot to keep orientation, but that made little difference as she suddenly was spitted out of the stream and down the waterfall.

The thrusters might have cooled down right now, but she was spinning around quickly and didn't have the time to balance out before she hit the lagoon at the bottom, but at least there was no strong current there. After finding sense, she swam toward the light of the local star that was filtering across the water. As she remembered that she wasn't the only one who fell through that, she jerked her head around.

"Ezra!" she called, but no answer came. "Ezra!"

"Don't yell, I'm at the shore." a thought arrived down the bond, reminding her that she could do just that.

She followed the trace given by the bond and swam toward the right bank of the pond, not far from where the waterfall ended. There she spotted Ezra in his orange and green armor, his omni-tool lit up and seemingly trying to reach some part of his lower body.

A horrible feeling crept on her mind. With two larger strokes she managed to get out of the water and rushed next to her brother's side.

"Are you all right?!"

"No. I landed on a rock." he said with gritted teeth. "I think I broke my leg." he said, pointing at his right one.

Jaral promptly made a scan and Jinx confirmed their worries.

"I detect a fracture in the tibia. Nothing too extensive, but you need to rest for a few hours before your body can heal it.

"Right, we don't have time for that." Ezra said with the same struggling tone.

To reinforce that concept, in the distance they heard the clear rumble of ionic engines. The imperials were coming around to scope the area and the Jedi needed to find some cover quickly.

"Come on." Jaral said, putting her brother's arm around her shoulders and helping him to stand up while leaning on her. Despite some grunting and a pain that she could partially perceive through the bond, Ezra didn't complain in the slightest.

"A jungle should be full of hideouts. Let's take a look around." he said.

Jaral thus started moving, going as fast as she could allow Ezra to limp around.

------------------------------------

Lexi and the medical team were ready with the stretcher and the first aid kit as the shuttle managed to dock and urgently opened the doors. Jordan had the time to see that the ones ready to dismount were Cal, holding Kubari down in his arms, while Michalina was knelt down applying some medi-gel on a horrible blaster burn on the Padawan's chest.

Quickly enough, the group loaded the young man on the stretcher, who grunted for a moment but overall just held tight. The medics brought him away, with Cal jogging next to them to reassure his Padawan.