Chapter 22: Encounters of Fate

July 14.

The liberation of Darvos took a little more than anticipated, mostly because after being reinstated to the command of the Liberator, the Colonel was called for a meeting with Mon Mothma and her cabinet, which, to the displease of Ezra and Jaral, included the man who put him behind bars, too.

Still, Darvos still hadn't had the time to make his report about his expedition in the Haleus Sector, and the testimony, the siblings were also invited to participate, so they could be made aware of the threats lurking in the Unknown Regions. Darvos was also sure that his brother was planning to extend the influence of the Empire, perhaps using the Carunoans and the Angara to create a buffer between the Core and the Grysks or the Kett, but he had no real proof to show for that theory.

At least the government understood the implied prospects: even if they managed to defeat the Empire and take the Core, the New Republic would have to deal with this new species that seemed eager to invade the civilized part of Andromeda, or at least a part of it.

The only good thing was that the Grysks had proven to be lagging far behind in terms of military tech, but there was no saying how long they would need to close that gap.

Finally, after 10 hours of making his report, Darvos was granted two weeks of shore leave for him and his crew. it was finally time to return to Lothal.

The trip this time was without other impediments and while the Constantinople made a stop at Capitol City, the Silver Bullet headed straight for the Bridger Complex and the Jedi academy. To their surprise, the group found not only all the Knights training Padawans and younglings alike, but also Hera and Zeb.

"Guys. We heard about the arrest on Lianna, but I didn't think you would be out so quickly, Darv." Hera joked, sounding like all of that was completely normal.

"It was all just a huge misunderstanding." Darvos decided to simplify. "But I'm glad to see you all again."

"And someone will be even happier." Zeb added, knowing the situation. He nodded toward Darvos and Jaral's home. "Go on."

"Thank you, Zeb." Jaral replied gratefully.

It might have sound a bit selfish on their part, but who could blame them?

The Jedi grabbed her husband's hand and led him back home, while Ezra stayed in the courtyard to speak with the rest of the Jedi and the crew about the recent developments. Jaral and Darvos headed inside the house instead. If she was happier than ever before, he was incredibly nervous and shaking in anticipation.

They arrived in front of the door and Jaral opened it. The room was illuminated only by the natural light outside, which revealed the simple decorations that so far decorated the room while the kid's cradle was located on the opposite end of the door. Inside the room a fateful droid beeped at seeing his owners again.

"Raze." Darvos greeted. "You been making guard?"

The R3 unit replied positively and then rolled toward the cradle, with Jaral following him shortly after. Darvos only had the strength to make a few steps into the room and preferred waiting for the baby to be shown to him.

Jaral looked inside the cradle and found Samira already waking up despite them having tried to be as quiet as possible. It seemed like the baby could already feel that this was a grand moment in her short life and intended to be present. Samira giggled at her mother and waved her tiny hands. Jaral smiled pretty much on reflex and gently leaned in to grab and lift her into her arms.

"Samira..." the Jedi said, then turned around with a quick swing, making sure the baby would look at the man in the room. "meet Dad."

As if she could understand, Samira gestured toward Darvos, clearly asking to go meet him.