Chapter 17: The Cemetery of Anzat

June 9.

Jane still couldn't believe what had just happened on Kadara. Sitting in her cabin, she was trying to focus on the plan birthed by Thrawn's mind, which sounded completely bonkers, however that was only increasing her anxiety for what was left of her family.

Losing Scott had been a terrible blow to the morale of the entire crew of the Normandy. While there was still a chance to rescue him, it was hard to tell where he even was in the first place, since the expedition had so far been unable to locate where the missing colonists had gone.

The bell of the door buzzed. Shepard lit up the omni-tool to link with the outside camera and saw that it was Wilhelm. With not many reasons to send him away, she unlocked the door and allowed him to walk in.

Wilhelm walked down the stairs with a soft pace and went to stay at a respectful distance.

"How's Sara?" Jane asked undertone.

"She calmed down a bit, but she still feels responsible for what has happened."

"She shouldn't." Jane said to no one in particular, then put down the datapad and sighed as she leaned her forehead against her clasped fists.

"Scott is stubborn. We will find him, I'm sure of that." Wilhelm said.

"I wish I had your confidence."

"It's simple logic: the Kett and their masters want Meridian, and he only has a part of the coordinates. It's more likely they will use him as a hostage."

"Or they will try to exalt him." Jane almost snapped.

"The Moshae had been kept alive for months." Wilhelm simply rebuked.

She realized that that was a real possibility. While a part of her decided to hand on that thought, the realist part was saying that it was still quite a long shot.

"We all know this is the risk of the job." the Major added softly. "If we can take him back, I swear I'll tear through the entire Kett fleet to do that. If it's already too late...then we'll make sure the Archon will pay once and for all."

Jane sighed again. "Oh, he will pay, all right. But you're right: I can't let my emotions drive my actions, or we will head straight into a trap."

"Speaking of which...what do you think of Thrawn's idea?"

"Completely crazy. But after all, being a Specter taught me the value of unconventional solutions. Also, the fact that he will be there means our main objective is covered, so we can focus on our task."

"Our main objective?" Wilhelm asked, confused for a moment.

"Do you remember why we came here in the first place?"

That came back to the Major's mind almost immediately. "Right. To somehow make sure the Lord-Protector takes a throne that he doesn't want."

"You must admit, however, that he's worthy of our respect."

"I have no qualms in saying that." Wilhelm replied. "It's just that I really don't understand what the Empress saw that might turn him into an ally: he's clearly loyal to the Empire and doesn't want to involve himself into politics more than he needs to. If we want to cut the head of the snake, then we should be trying to assassinate Palpatine."

"Most likely that will be our next task, if we survive Meridian. But it's not something we can achieve on our own. We should ask the Jedi for help."

There was a brief silence. Now even Wilhelm seemed brooding, and it became clear once he delivered his answer to the last statement. "I hope so. I am ready to accept the possibility that my son...our son, may not survive this mission. But what I would really hate, is knowing that he died for nothing."