Chapter 15: Hand in the shadows

"I have made contact with Akksul." the Moshae assured. "He seems willing to listen, so I am working toward organizing a talk between you and him."

"That is a promising start, Moshae. You have our thanks." Jane replied politely.

"It's the least I can do, after everything you have done for us." the scholar returned.

"Let's just hope your goodwill brings us a positive result." Iulius instead commented, clearly convinced only at half.

Jane was about to say something to lift the spirits, then Iulius' comlink beeped and he had to take it.

"Tanis."

"Sir, Grand Admiral Thrawn has arrived with the reinforcements." the voice of Tanis' first officer arrived through the small device.

"Thank you, Commander." the young man cordially replied, then put away the comlink and turned to the other people in the room. "Leader Evfra, could you allow us to link that screen to the video-feeds of the Admonitor?"

Evfra glimpsed at him, then turned to one of the operators and instructed him to do what the Grand Admiral asked. Soon, one of the big screens started streaming what one of the visual sensors of the Star Destroyer was catching, and soon enough, the Chimaera appeared at the edge of Aya's gravitational well. Iulius then opened a channel with the ship.

"Tanis to Chimaera, come in."

After a few seconds to pick up, the voice of the Chiss arrived from the speakers.

"This is the Chimaera. On behalf of the Carunoan Navy I request permission to enter Angara space."

"This is Leader Evfra. Permission granted."

Thrawn didn't answer to them, as he gave the green light to somebody else. Shortly after, other ships started to pour out of hyperspace, probably following a trace left by the Chimaera to find their way into hyperspace. Jane found herself watching the silhouettes of those vessels. At first she could distinguish three small ships, probably the size of a frigate or even a gunboat. They had four arms made of solar panels standing out in the rear of the ship and forming a cross. Then a few bigger ships started to arrive, including one of around 800 m long and heavily armed. It didn't take long for Jane to realize that it was a Task Force centered around a battleship.

 It didn't take long for Jane to realize that it was a Task Force centered around a battleship

"They look...quite primitive." she commented without thinking too much. In a way that Javik would have been so proud of.

"Don't be too harsh on the Carunoans, Captain." Iulius replied lightly. "They have started their Space Age not more than two years ago."

"Two years ago...?" Darvos asked. "So these are the Humans you saved in the Unknown Regions. The ones you got your Dark Troopers from?"

"Your observation skills are always on point, brother. Indeed, there are some Dark Troopers, but this is the new Carunoan army, with the explicit task of defending their homeworld and guard the Empire against the threats of the Unknown Regions."