18. JECINTA'S FRIEND?

A basket filled with different kinds of vegetables was carried by a vibrant beautiful young maiden.

She had a bright smile that made men wonder in jealousy if she had finally found someone.

She wore one of her favorite dresses and she had on light makeup.

The sun came out in all its glory, making everywhere bright and people thanked the Lord for it because over the previous days, rain had been falling non-stop.

In no time, she left the market and went back to the village so she could tend to someone.

She was so happy and it was visible on her face like the sun.

When she got to the house, she knocked gently and waited for a reply.

Not long after her knock, an elderly woman came to open the door.

      "Oh Clara, thank you for coming on time. Please come in." The matured woman invited the young lady in who was none other than Clara.

       "You're welcome Aunty, is he awake?"

Clara quickly asked because that was the main reason she had come so early.

       "Am afraid not my dear, but let's hope he does."

Clara sighed sadly but she immediately cheered herself up. The woman took the basket from her and went straight to the kitchen.

        "Will it be alright if I go check up on him?"

There was a brief silence before the woman yelled her answer from the  kitchen.

         "Of course dear."

Clara smiled happily and rushed inside one of the rooms so she could see how he was doing.

When she got to a wooden door, she gently pushed it open before stepping inside and her green eyes instantly fell on him.

He had no shirt on and it seemed like the woman had been cleaning him up.

Clara went closer and sat on a wooden stool which was positioned on the right side of the bed.

The room had only a window and it was already opened for light to enter.

Her eyes stared at his face for a long time before they lowered to stare at his torso.

He was breathing fine which was an achievement compared to the previous days. His hair was shining due to the oil the woman applied on his head.

       "Clara."

Clara's heart jumped and her eyes slightly widened but she quickly schooled her features.

       "Mr Fleur," she stood up after calling his name and went to greet him in a respectful manner.

His eyes were dull but he was lively and happy to see her.

       "Good morning Uncle."

"Good morning my dear, you're here so early. Is your mother aware?"

He had a concerned look and she nodded in answer to his question with an innocent smile.

        "Alright."

He said shortly as he entered the room and came to stand on the left side of the bed. His eyes observed the man who was in a deep sleep.

A frown settled on his forehead and Clara noticed it.

        "What's wrong uncle?" She had a worried look.

The elderly man sighed heavily and his lips parted slightly to speak but he closed them back as if unsure whether to tell her or not.

Mr Fleur moved closer to the man who was on the bed and placed his hand on his forehead to feel his temperature.

         "He should've woken up by now but I don't know what is stopping him from waking up." He explained to Clara as he slowly took his hand from the man's forehead.

         "Earlier, you wanted to say something uncle, what is it?"

At her question, he turned to face her with a deep furrow at his forehead. There was sadness in his eyes and Clara's heart ached, she didn't like seeing him in such a state.

         "Last night, he mentioned Jecinta's name in his sleep more than once."

Clara's eyes widened and she shifted her attention back to the man in shock.

        "How is that? Has he met her before?" She questioned Jecinta's father, Mr Fleur, and he set his lips in a thin line as he gave it a thought.

Clara's eyes were still wide, she was astonished by the information she got from Mr Fleur.

Jecinta had no male friends and Clara knew that very well. They were always around each other.

        "Maybe he had met her before."

"Maybe," Clara repeated his first word.

Jecinta had never for once lied to her, she told her everything so it surprised Clara that her friend didn't tell her about the man.

        'Could it be that this man was in love with Jecinta?'

Color left Clara's face at that thought and she quickly brushed it aside.

        "Come dear, let us give him space."

Clara nodded but she didn't want to leave, she wanted to know how he knew her friend and what went on between them.

As they left the room, Clara pondered on what Mr Fleur told her.  It really disturbed her.

They both went into the kitchen and the woman who was Jecinta's mother turned to stare at them questioningly.

         "How is he?"

"Recovering," came her husband's short response as he stood at the door side while Clara stepped into the kitchen and went to assist the woman.

         "Hmm."

"Don't worry Aunt Jenna, he'll wake up soon."

Clara gave a positive answer just to encourage them and Lady Jenna nodded before resuming what she was doing.

Clara picked up the green veggies and went to wash them. While washing them, she prayed to God for the man to wake up.