2. IN NEED OF ATTENTION

…before the celebration…

     "Every day he comes to this town and he's fond of staring at me Clara."

"How are you certain it's you he's always staring at?"

"Because it's obvious Clara."

"Do you like it when he looks at you?"

A deep pink hue colored Jecinta's face at her friend's question and she began to play with the flower in her hand.

       "Oh my goodness Jecinta, you like him," Clara taunted her and it caused her to blush further but she denied it.

       "No I don't…it…it's just that I find it weird that he's always staring."

       "Maybe he admires you dear Jecinta. You should be happy, at least you've found yourself a suitor."

       "You think so?" Jecinta questioned back with dreamy eyes.

       "No," came Clara's quick response and Jecinta gave her a surprised look.

       "What's that supposed to mean Clara…?"

       "Lady Clara! Jecinta!"

Someone shouted their names and they quickly shifted their attention to the person.

       "Mrs Jane," they both called out in unison.

Smiling cheerfully, the plump woman approached them in the crowded marketplace and admired them.

        "You both look pleasant my dears," she complimented them.

        "Thank you ma'am," they appreciated.

        "Come now, I have your gowns all set for the celebration."

        "Oh thank God they are complete," Clara cheered happily and Jecinta giggled as they followed the seamstress.

On their way to the seamstress' shop, Clara received a handful of men greeting her and it disturbed Jecinta that she didn't have men eyeing her.

On getting to the shop, one of Mrs Jane's apprentices, who was a male greeted Clara and tried to get her attention.

        "Sir Morris, it's good to see you after all these while, how are you?"

She tactfully engaged herself in a conversation with him. Her green eyes shone with delight and she had a captivating smile.

Jecinta had a sullen look as she watched how Clara easily conversed with the young man. Her heart ached and she yearned for a man to give her such attention.

        "Over here lady Jecinta, let's get you into your gown shall we?"

        "We shall," Jecinta smiled innocently after giving the elderly woman a response and the woman smiled and gave her a gentle pat on her right cheek.

        "You're such an adorable girl dear," the woman praised her while going through many dresses to take out theirs.

Jecinta loved the compliment the seamstress gave her but she stealthily peeked at her friend and the handsome apprentice.

Would it hurt for a man to compliment her like that? She wondered sadly to herself.

Soon, the conversation that seemed to be like forever to Jecinta finally ended and Clara came to meet her.

       "What were you two talking about Clara?"

Jecinta poked her nose and Clara gave a shy smile before glancing to see if he was watching them and that was exactly what he did. Though his eyes were fixed on Clara.

       "This is yours Jecinta, go try it on while I search for Clara's." Mrs Jane handed her a milk coloured gown and Jecinta happily took it and went behind the dividers which was not far from them.

The shop was of medium size, it was neither big nor small.

Stepping behind the dividers, Jecinta changed into the dress the seamstress had given while thinking about the man who always stared at her.

He was well built and whenever he came to the village, he caused many heads to turn, especially young women who were looking for suitors.

      Did he find interest in her?

Her heart did a flip at that thought and her cheeks turned pink. She had never been admired by a man like that so it felt new to her and she loved how it felt.

The gown wasn't too fancy and it was easy to put on without the help of someone.

After putting the gown on, she came out from behind the dividers and went to look at herself in front of a large mirror which was leaning against the wall.

        "Oh look at you Jecinta," Clara quickly came to her side to get a closer look at her dress.

        "How do I look Clara?" Jecinta had a nervous look and she needed someone's compliment, at least she could manage her friend's kind words.

       "Are you sure you don't want Mrs Jane to work on the waist? The gown will look more fitting…and you'll get a lot of suitors."

She whispered the last line into her ear and it made Jecinta blush once more.

      "I think I'll do that," Jecinta agreed without reluctance and it surprised Clara for a moment.

      "Really?"

At her question for confirmation, Jecinta gave a light nod of agreement and Clara jumped in delight before giving her a peck on the cheek.

      "You do that while I try mine."

Jecinta watched as Clara went behind the dividers and that was when Mrs Jane came to meet her.

      "Do you like it dear?" She had a concerned look as she searched Jecinta's face for a reaction.

      "I do like it Mrs Jane, but I'd like to make a simple adjustment around my waist."

      "You want to loosen it?" There was shock written all over the woman's face at Jecinta's suggestion.

      "No, no, not that Mrs, I meant you should tighten it."

      "Tighten it? Are you sure about that dear? Did Clara put you up to this?"

      "No she didn't, it's my decision."

Jecinta quickly corrected and Mrs Jane watched her for a little longer before giving a nod.

      "Thank you." Jecinta thanked.

Now all that was left was a man to shower her with all his attention and she had one in her heart. The one who always stared at her whenever he came to their village.

      She felt he was the right one for her.