Chapter 1.

Whilst sitting at his window one starry night before the start of a new term, George was staring at the sky, his twin, Fred was fast asleep behind him, half hanging off his bed, mouth open so wide he could catch flies and giving the occasional snore. George wished he could sleep like that but for some odd reason tonight, no matter how much he tried, he just couldn't fall asleep, so he sat on his windowsill.

Lost in his own thoughts, he hadn't noticed the young girl walking slowly through the surrounding fields, she was humming quietly to herself. He was so lost in his thoughts he almost missed her completely, until he saw the flash of cherry red hair. He looked at little closer at the girl, best he could from his seat on the window, and noticed that she was changing her own hair colour, it suddenly went black, to blue, to brown and it happened so quickly he almost missed it.

As if sensing someone looking at her, she looked over at the peculiar house she was walking past and glanced up at the window, to see none other than George Weasley staring at her. Locking eyes with him she stared at him for a short while admiring the way he's changed over the summer. He's taller now, his hair a little longer but still that flaming red colour. That was about as much as she could see with it being dark outside, and without tapping into her other abilities. Letting out a hefty sigh she broke eye contact and walked away, it wouldn't do her any good attracting his attention, it would only bring more to herself, and she doesn't want that.

Heading back to her parent's house, unable to call it home, she silently climbed back into the house through her bedroom window. Quietly changing into her pyjamas, she lay down in her bed and closed her eyes. She knew she shouldn't have gone out tonight, but the early evening had proven to be the worst night for her yet and she couldn't wait to go back to Hogwarts tomorrow.

****

"Get up, girl, you're going to be late otherwise" the voice of her father had floated through the door to her room to remind Katherine it was time for her to return to Hogwarts. Jumping out of bed she jumped into the bathroom, to do her morning routine. Routine is what kept her sane whilst at home, if she didn't have one, she would probably lose her sense of time. Double checking the packed trunk at the end of her bed, she carried it down the stairs to see her mother and father waiting to take her to the train station.

"Now I want you to behave yourself whilst you're at school, keep up your grades and stay out of trouble, and no showing anyone your abilities, do you understand" Her father looked down on her with a stern expression, her mother wearing an identical one.

"Yes father" Keeping her eyes cast to the ground Katherine closed her eyes waiting for the moment to pass. He nodded his head and held out his arm for her to take whilst her mother grabbed her trunk before the familiar sensation of apparition took over. Landing in a secluded alleyway near Kings Cross Station her mother passed her the trunk and without another word from either her father or mother they apparated away.

Sighing to herself Katherine began to hum the tune to Dream a Little Dream of Me by Doris Day. She had heard her grandmother singing it before she had passed away and it had always brought her comfort, so whenever her thoughts are too loud, she hums or sings to herself. Unfortunately, she cannot sing it in front of her parents, because it is muggle music, and her parents are blood purists. Ironic considering their daughter is no longer a pure blood and is now considered a half breed because of them.

She walked slowly down the train to find an empty compartment and came across one who had someone sleeping in there. Deciding to sit down before the train started to move, she swiftly pushed her case onto the overhead rack and sat down quietly with her head leaning against the window, still humming Doris Day to herself.

"Excuse me, could we sit with you? everywhere else is full" Katherine snapped her head towards the voice and came face to face with Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley. She nodded her head politely and turned back towards the window, she could feel her eyes getting heavy before she swiftly fell into a dreamless abyss.