38. The Truth

Grace's pov

I woke up by the sound of waves crashing into shore.

Without making any noise, I get up from bed, walking out in the balcony. The warm wind hits my face and I inhale deeply while looking far in the distance.

Last night, he told me he loved me, while making love to me, in the house he bought for me.

I didn't...I couldn't say it back. Not yet.

A part of me is still scared that he will hurt my feelings again. God knows how miserable I was last year. I can't go through that again.

Maybe just this time it will be different...

But what if he asked me to stay with him?

I can't just do that. I can't just drop everything for Charles...not again...not when I'm not sure that in the end he will choose me. I still have my life back home, which I need to get back to.

But how can I tell him that I'm leaving now? When everything seems a bit better between us?

My thoughts are interrupted by strong arms wrapping around my waist, hugging me from behind. Charles rests his head on my shoulder.

"I can't believe you bought us a house" I tell him and I chuckle.

"I'd buy you the entire world if I could." He whispers in my ear.

I turn around to look at him, his hands cupping my face.

My eyes ask him a million questions.

What did last night mean to you?

What does this mean for us?

Where do we stand?

What happens next?

"What's wrong mon amour?" Charles asks with a concerned face "Did you...regret last night?"

His eyes looking in mine, searching for an answer.

"No regrets." I tell him honestly, causing a little smile to creep in his face.

He leans in, kissing me gently and I melt in his arms.

"Will you come with me today?" Charles asks when he breaks the kiss apart, looking up at me excited.

Today it's qualifying and I'd love to be there for Charles but going to the race track would mean seeing other drivers and potentially...Arthur. I don't think I'm ready to face him yet.

"Yeah...yeah I'll be there." I tell him not able to refuse.

Charles gives me a small kiss on my forehead, then gets back inside to get ready.

I stay in the balcony a little longer, admiring the view, in case this is the last time.

When I get back, Charles is in the bathroom so I take the opportunity to go on my phone, and check for some plane tickets.

Do I really want to leave?

Expect for this house here, I don't have anything else keeping me here.

The only plane tickets available for back to Italy are tomorrow at 7pm which is...exactly at the end of the race.

"You know you can't come with me if you're wearing only your underwear" Charles chuckles when he comes out of the bathroom, all dressed up.

I hide my phone behind me and get up from the bed.

"Well, that will be a problem since you ripped my dress last night." I say and Charles smirks.