33. Ghosted

Grace's pov

Charles is standing on the red carpet, posing for some photos, dressed in a all-white suit. Next to him, there's a beautiful woman, dressed in white as well. Their hands are interlocked with each other.

I can't take my eyes off him.

"Grace, are you okay?" Max asks from beside me "We'll be up there next."

"Yeah, I'll be fine." And I give him a reassuring smile even though I am a nervous wreck.

Hopefully no one saw me staring like a psychopath.

After Charles and his...date finish posing for their photos, we start heading towards the red carpet. Before Charles leaves, he looks up in our direction, taking a glance of us and his face falls.

He probably wasn't expecting to see me here...
Or he probably wasn't expecting to see me here with Max.

"Charles, are you coming?" The woman he's with asks him.

Charles stops looking at me and turns around, walking away but stopping at the entrance.

Me and Max take a few pictures individually first and then together. He wrapps a hand around my waist, pulling me close to him and I put one of my hands on his chest, smiling for the photographs.

Then Max pulls me closer to him, leaning in and whispering 'you're the most beautiful woman here' to my ear. I chuckle at his comment.

Who would have thought that angry Max could be sweet?

While he pulls away from my ear, my eyes shift from Max's eyes to Charles.

He's standing by the entrance still, staring at us. His face stone cold, not showing any emotions.

I lean into Max's ear this time, telling him 'thank you' and then we head for the entrance as well.

                              ——————-

When we walk in, Max gets me something to drink and we both walk around, making conversation and also admiring the place.

I've never been to an event this fancy before, but Max seemed unfazed by it.

After some time, we join the other drivers who are here as well. They all look so fancy and dressed up, very different from their day to day clothes. I got to admit that it's a good look on them.

"Do you mind if I say hello to Arthur? I'll be back in a minute." I tell Max when I spot Arthur in the crowd. Max nods and I head towards Arthur.

Arthur is standing there with a drink in his hand, talking to a beautiful girl who suddenly leaves when I approach him.

"Hey there party boy!" I say when I get close to him.

"Grace!" He says, a bit surprised to see me here. He hugs me and then says "I thought you were supposed to have a date to be here."

"Oh I do...have a date." I tell him.

"What? But Charles came here with someone else." He says confused.

Why would he think I came here with Charles? Wait...so he knew that Charles would bring someone else here.

"I'm not here with Charles." I say, shouting a bit over the loud music.

"What? So, who are you here with then?"

"Max." I whisper.

"I can't hear you!" He shouts.