32. One

Grace's pov

"Since when was there a party?" I yell at Camilla while I go through my suitcase, trying to find something to wear.

"Wait, you didn't know?" She says while she lays down on my bed.

"You really think I'd be napping when there's a huge party to attend?"

Camilla gives me a side eye.

Of course I'd be taking a nap.

"How'd you know there was a party anyway?" I ask her while I throw all the dresses I took with me on my bed.

"Daniel told me about it and invited me as his plus one."

"Wait, then I can't come!" I say while stopping what I'm doing.

"What do you mean? You got anything better to do?"

"No, it's not that, it's just that I haven't been invited." I say and sit on the bed.

"Arthur...he didn't tell you?"

I shake my head to tell her no.

Why hasn't he told me? Maybe he doesn't want to go with me and already has a date.

"Well then you can come as my plus one." Camilla hugs me from behind.

"But you are a plus one, you can't invite me." I tell her while rolling my eyes.

"What about Charles? Did he mention anything?"

"Seriously? That man can not stand to stay within 10 meters in a room with me at the moment." I say while laying down on my back.

"Ugh fine! I'll call Daniel and tell him to find you a date." Camilla says and pulls out her phone, calling Daniel.

"Camilla!" I try to object but Daniel has already answered the phone call.

Camilla talked with Daniel and he said he would try to find me a date.

"See, it's all figured out now! You're lucky I came to the rescue."

"Yeah whatever." I say and get up to wear a short, pink dress.

"Uhhh...Grace?" She says when she sees the dress I'm holding.

"Yeah?

"You can't wear that!"

"Why not?" I ask confused.

"Because...this is a fancy kind of party." Cami says and gets up to take a look at my other options.

"How fancy?" I ask, a little nervous now.

"The met gala kind of fancy."

"On a second thought, I'll just stay here and watch-"

"The notebook?" She turns around with a 'mad' look on her face.

"I was going to say '10 things I hate about you' but that works too."

"No!" She says firmly "Besides, you can't bail on your date!"

"I don't even know if I have a date yet!"

"Oh yeah you do. Daniel just texted me."

"Okay, that was fast. Who am I going to make small talk with tonight?"

I hate making small talk.

"Max Verstappen."

                              -——————

When we get down to the lobby, Cami runs to greet Daniel and they start heading outside, leaving me with Max. I give him a shy smile as I'm approaching him.

"Grace! You look beautiful!" He says and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

I can't help but feel a little bit uncomfortable but I try to hide it.

"Thank you!" I tell him.

I'm wearing a long, backless, black dress with a split on the side, matching my outfit with Max who is wearing a black tuxedo.

"Shall we go?" Max says and gives me his hand for me to take.

"We shall." I say and we head towards his car.

I was praying that we would be driving with Cami and Daniel, but instead we head towards a Porsche which I assume is Max's.

He opens the passenger door for me and I smile at him and say 'thank you'. Then he gets in and starts driving.

"So..." I start saying, trying to make conversation "How did Daniel convince you to invite me as your plus one?"

"Ah...I owed him a favour, plus he's my friend." He says while looking at me and giving me a sweet smile. "Besides, when he told me it was you, it wasn't so hard for him to convince me."

I fake-chuckle not knowing how to answer that.

Is he...flirting with me?

"I hope you weren't going to invite someone else and I ruined your plans." I say then.

"Nah, I was planning on going solo, but I don't mind you coming with me, to keep me company."

"So...what do I need to know about this event?"

I say, trying to change the subject.

"Nothing much, it's more of a party but we'll just have to take some pictures at a red carpet."

"Great" I mumble.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. I'll be by your side the entire time."

He smiles at me, trying to make me feel more confident and I look out of the window.

Not long after we arrive at the event. Cars and people fill the outside area and there's paparazzi everywhere.

"You ready?" Max asks me.

"As ready as I can be."

Why did I agree to this again? Right. I didn't.

Max gets out of the car and walks to my side, opening the door for me. He offers me his arm and I take it, and we head towards the red carpet. The paparazzi around us, are taking pictures of us together.

This is not good.

I've been photographed with the entire grid at this point. I don't even want to know what people think of me.

They probably think that I'm sleeping around with all of them when in fact I've only slept with...one.

And that one, is standing in front of me with...with another woman by his side.

••••••