34| Tension Of Time

Chanel's pov

Chanel's pov

"Do you love me, Chanel?"

A small smile cracked from my lips. It was currently four in the morning right after work. Landon and I sat on the beach watching as the moon talked to the sea. He's been quiet all day and I knew he had something to say to me, I just didn't think it was that. I'm glad he has finally gotten it off of his chest though. As he looked at me I looked at the ocean trying to find an answer to his question.

"And what's love, Landon?" I asked partially stalling. He thought about it but in the end came up blank. "I guess I don't know exactly." He shrugged, looking away. "Love is like the sun and moon. It starts off with a burning sensation of the need for someone, then it slowly fades away into the cool moon, cooling down so much the love fades." When I finished talking I finally looked at him. "You don't think love ever lasts?" He asked me.

"No it doesn't, but tension does." I smiled as he turned to me, confused. "Tension is like time. Once it starts, it never ends, Landon. And it doesn't slow down for anyone. So the real question is," I paused for a moment. "Do we have tension?" We asked in sync. I looked at him with a smile so wide my cheeks started hurting. I laid my head on his shoulder looking up at the moon and told him, "We have tension, Landon. But if you want to get technical, I love you." His hand met my face and when I looked up to him I could see pounds lifted off his shoulders. "I love you, bunny."

I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him. I did love him, I loved him the moment I met him. And everyday I'm learning to trust him a little more. As I kissed him I felt it was the time to get things off my chest as well. I pulled away and looked at him. His eyes were dancing in excitement. I laughed as I could feel his heart pounding. "You're an idiot." He laughed with me.

I had made a decision a month back. And I think it's time I tell him because I'm feeling confident in my decision for the first time. "Landon I'm leaving." Now it was my heart pounding. Both our smiles were wiped off clean. "What?" His voice was so low in disbelief. I looked up to him and put my hand on his face.

"I finally saved up enough money to leave here. I don't have to be in New York anymore and I'm leaving for Vermont. Hopefully I can leave within a couple of days." He scoffed and was in complete shock.

"We're almost done with school. We have straight A's and everyone we know is here." He said in an attempt to make me stay. "I'm not worried about school anymore. I got an offer to publish my book, Bugs. Valentina won't leave because of Travis and Ruby's life is here plus she hates the cold." I chuckled. "If I have anyone here it's you." He leaned over and put his elbows on his knees as he looked out in silence.

"I'm so sorry." I put my hand on his back and begged him not to be upset. "I'll go with you." He looked up and turned to me with wide eyes. "With the money my dad left us we could be comfortable." I shook my head and pulled my hand away. "He left the money for you and I'm not pulling you out of school to run away with me." He sucked his teeth and turned his body completely to face me. "I don't care about school, the money is mine so it's ours. You'll be eighteen in a few months, we can make it work."

He was so proud of his plan as if he's been through this a million times. "You think this is a good idea?" I asked, worried about him. "I love you, I do and I won't be away from you. I won't lose you when I just got you. Please, I'll go with you."

I smiled and grabbed his face pulling him into me. "You're gonna run away with me?" He smiled and nodded. "Should we change our names and get plastic surgery?" I rolled my eyes before turning my body to face him and put my legs over his. I rested my hands on his hips as I got lost into his eyes. "Why Vermont?" He asked as his hands traveled my thighs. "Because it's beautiful in fall. And also it's small and cozy there. Somewhere no one knows me but you."

I put my forehead to his and we closed our eyes. He slipped his hand into mine. "Just let me finish this semester and then we'll leave. We will stay clean and be the happiest we've ever been all alone. I promise to fulfill your expectations and make sure to have your complete trust by your birthday. Just slow and steady." He told me.

"Slow and steady." I repeated as we opened our eyes. We stood up off of the sand and dusted off our clothes. He ran up to me and grabbed my waist as he picked me up. By muscle memory my legs wrapped around him and I tucked my hair out of our face. "From the moment I met you I knew you'd be the one to have all of me. You are so beautiful and smart. I couldn't imagine a life without you, Chanel."

"We deserve to be happy."