22| Ruby Eleanor

Chanel's POV

Chanel's POV

"I have to go, I told Ruby I'd come see her." I shouted at Landon, as he held me by my waist as I tried my hardest to get off the bed. "One more conversation, and you can leave." He begged. I dropped back on the bed and turned to him. I waited for him to start the conversation but he only looked at me with a big smile on his face. I smiled back and smiled wider, but my smile was only a distraction so I could quickly jump off the bed. He sighed and groaned, turning on his back. "Finish our project, we have school tomorrow." I said grabbing a jacket that was sitting on his chair, which was most likely his. I grabbed my purse which was sitting on the floor and walked out.

It's been a while since I saw Ruby and I thought spending the day with her would be nice. I told her I was in the hospital and instead of having her come down I told her I'd visit. On the way there I passed in front of my house. Being first out of the home I grew up in hurt, but in some way this felt like I was getting to move on from what was tying me down. I continued my walk and not long after I reached her apartment complex. I got to her door and knocked twice.

The door opened but Ruby was not standing in front of me. It was some random girl and she stared at me as I walked on her lawn. "Can I help you?" She asked, looking me up and down. In the back I noticed Ruby walking towards the door in an open robe smoking a blunt. "I'm here for her?" I said pointing to Ruby. "Hi beautiful." Ruby said, closing her robe. "She was just on her way out." Ruby pushed on the girl's back softly, letting her out. I slipped into the house as Ruby shut the door. "Long night?" I asked, laying on the couch.

"Always." She sat on the edge of the couch and passed me the blunt she was smoking from. "Talk to me, who put their hands on you? Who do I have to handle for you?" She asked as I made O's with the smoke. Ruby was very overprotective of me, never let anyone get too close to me. "Evelyn." I told her. Her eyes widened as she let out a scoff. "She put her hands on you like this?" She stood up and pulled on the collar of my shirt. "Chanel you have a bruised neck and a busted head." She said as I exhaled the smoke. "This is why I didn't invite you to the hospital and the busted head is my fault. But that's not why I'm here Ruby."

I sat up and passed her back the blunt. No matter how worked up she got, I know she wouldn't do anything without my go ahead. "Come on sit, we have to discuss business." She ran a hand over her mouth and moved her tongue over her teeth before sitting down. "If she ever does anything like that again, I won't sit down." I nodded and leaned my elbows on my knees. "So, good news. I'm going to try and get sober." Her eyes lit up. "Bad news, less business for you." She shrugged and pulled me in for a hug. I squeezed her tight and surprisingly I had a big smile on my face. This news was not as troubling as I thought it would be. Most likely a lot easier to say it than do it as well. But this felt good, to know someone like Ruby would be proud of me.

"I am so unbelievably happy, I couldn't care less about the money I get from drugs. I'll figure it out." She said pulling away and slid a thumb down my cheek. Before anything I grabbed my purse and pulled out 800 cash. "Just until you find a better customer." She took the money and put it under a mug that sat on the coffee table. "I'll never find anyone better than you beautiful." I laid back down and grabbed the blunt from her again.

"You're not staying at the house are you?" She asked, walking to the kitchen. "No, I'm staying at Landon's. You remember the Green Oak Residence?" I heard cabinets shut and she turned off the main light. "Landon, that boy I saw you with, at the Walker house?" I put a thumbs up over the couch and inhaled. "He's cute." She laughed. "Why does everyone keep telling me that? I have eyes." She walked back over and sat at my feet with a bowl of cereal in her hands. "Oh feisty. You guys fuck yet?" I rolled my eyes and put the blunt in the ashtray.

"Ruby?" I turned on my side and stared at the floor as I put my hands under my head. "Hmm?" She asked with a spoonful of cereal. "I think Landon might be falling for me." She shifted and I know she's looking at me. "Are you falling for him?" I acted oblivious to her response. "What if he leaves me too or hurts me? Or worse, I hurt him?" She chuckled. "Poor bambi doesn't know if it's left or right. Chanel, that's the fun part about a love story. You'll never know the end. Don't scrap your story because it's writing itself." I listened to every word, tried to understand it.

She stood up and headed back to the kitchen. "Think of it like this." She shouted. "We're writers, you right romance. Think of it as someone writing your books. Your characters don't have a choice for their ending. Why should you? If you're falling for him, fall and fall hard. Just make sure he catches you. If he ever lets go, you get up and walk away. Find another building to fall off of." I smiled and laid on my back, wrapping my arms around myself.

"You should meet him. Valentina is inviting us to her parents Cabin in two days." I'd like to see what Ruby really thinks of him. "Busy, but we should go out some day, the three of us. I heard the carnival is coming to town." I stayed quiet and thought of our options.

"Ella's rager." I said sitting up. "A rager? I'll be there." She winked at me knowing she was going for the girls. "I love you Ruby." I admitted. She walked over and kissed my forehead. "I love you beautiful. More than any guy ever will." I wrapped my arms around her neck and pulled her in for a hug over the couch. I placed a soft kiss on her face. Ruby was a reminder of the good smiles and the joy. A reminder I refuse to let go.

 A reminder I refuse to let go