Dissopointment

Sergeant Caspian Holingway

I stood and watched as all the campers and my regiment walked solemnly across the campsite to where the games were about to begin. Everyone was ready and in their teams, but there were three people missing on all days for her to prove to me she was ready and up to the challenge. She was already disappointing me with her no show, yet I had expected better from Jonathan and Kyle. They'd never been late in all the years the games had commenced.

Then everyone turned as the three strode across the camp looking sluggish like they'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. What the hell? They all looked like they'd been roughing it?

Then I saw their faces, they were all drawn in looking like they were about to vomit. If I wasn't so pissed right now I'd be laughing at their sluggishness of a hangover. Now was not the time. Once the games subsided. At the end of the day, I'd tear every one of them a new arsehole.

I looked over the camp. Ethan stood there smugly with a grin on his fucking face, ear to ear. I so wanted to wipe that smug grin off his face for fucking good. This was supposed to be our year. We had the best campers fighting for the cup. If anyone could've won this for us, it would've been Carly. She showed good prospects and was tougher than most of the campers here and I admired her for all she stood for, but her being out of it down right pissed me off and the two other culprits in this situation knew better. She was underage, goddamn it.

Anything could have happened to her even if I trusted them with my life. Anything was possible when there was drink involved. I was disappointed in them. On all nights, to be reckless, they had to choose the night before the games between us and camp Hollingway.

My brother was going to fucking love this. I had told him I was up to this, a girl who was the daughter of the women who had single-handed put these camps together. She wanted a haven for those who had been bullied as she had, with the help of ours, truly to help them gain some assurance and stability to have their self-esteem built up like she once had.

Though it had taken her many years to gain her trust back in my father and his regiment after the farce with Carly's father. They had eventually come to an agreement and she'd agreed to let him help her build this safe haven exactly the way she wanted. Minus two, we'd done quite well.

I stepped on the podium in front of all the campers and both regiments. Spewed the same shit I did every year hoping this year would be different from the last, unsure it would now that my hope was fading with the way Carly, Kyler and Jonathan had turned up looking as if they could do with going back to bed. I blew the whistle and they all set off. Ethan grinned evilly at me as he walked on. I had no idea what he had planned this year, but I knew for a fact it wasn't going to be good.

Carly

I swallowed hard, looking at Caspian, knowing he was going to call me out about why I looked like shit if not the two idiots beside me. He looked at me, his stare sending chills through me as he mouthed, "We'll talk after lights out."

I gulped loudly, knowing I was in shit. "Everything's okay, Carl's. Sarg is a big softy." Bulldog Jr said, sounding as if he didn't believe his own words.

They both looked over at their Sargent and gulped. They were definitely in shit too.

"Maybe not today. Come on let's go, we've got a lot of sucking up to do after."

We all nodded in agreement.

I shivered and looked ahead of me straight into his dark eyes. He smirked not pleasantly. "Who's that?"

"Who, angel?"

"Him."

They both looked over. "That's Ethan Hollingway. Stay away from him angel, he's not only bad news, he has a big chip on his fucking shoulder about your mother, so stay clear."