Chapter One

I sat outside the Director's office, nervously awaiting the news he had for me. I had graduated from Quantico, top of my class, just a few hours ago, and had been urgently called to the see the Director. I had no idea why. I graduated top of my class – what could I have possibly done wrong? Mum, Dad, and my two younger brothers were waiting for me outside – they had flown in for the graduation ceremony. My older brother, Paul, hadn't shown up...typical. He is ten years older than me, and an agent himself, so I guess you could say that he had bigger fish to fry today. He and Dad never really got on, so perhaps that was behind his reasoning for not coming today – although, I'm sure they could put aside their differences for just one day. Paul's Dad was an agent too, and a pretty good one at that. He gave his life for the job, and Paul was just eight years old when he lost his Father. So when our Mum re-married, Paul didn't take too kindly to it and was determined to keep his Father's name. So while the rest of the family were Parkers, Paul was a Briggs. No matter how hard Dad tried with him, Paul just wouldn't open up. And even now, their relationship is kind of rocky. I was born when Paul was ten, and thankfully Paul didn't take out his issues with Dad on me. In fact, Paul loved me, and I loved him. He took great care of me, and we're quite close still, even now. But then, he didn't come to my graduation, so how close can we really be? Though, out of all my brothers, I'd say I was closest to Paul, and Paul is definitely closer to me that he is to our younger brothers. The door to the Director's office opened, and his secretary poked her head out into the hallway.

            "Agent Parker? We're ready for you", she said, smiling and beckoning me in. It felt weird hearing the word 'Agent' for the first time. Today was the first time that I was properly identifiable as an 'Agent', and it felt great. I rise from my seat and follow her into the office. The Director rises and offers me his hand to shake.

            "Congratulations again, Agent Parker! You should be very proud!" He smiles.

            "Thank you, Sir", I grin back.

            "Take a seat", he says, lowering himself back into this own chair.

            "Thank you, Sir". I sit in the chair facing his desk.

            "Now, about your future plans, Sarah. I'm afraid there's been a slight change of plan. I know you had hoped to be placed in D.C. –"

            "Yes, Sir..." I slowly nod my head, afraid to hear the end to his sentence.

            "And with you graduating top of your class, you would usually be granted your first choice. However, we've had an urgent call requesting that you be moved elsewhere –"

            "Elsewhere?!" I'm trying to keep my cool, but it is killing me inside. For years I had planned on trying to work my way to the top in D.C. And now my dreams were getting well and truly crushed.

            "Southern California, to be exact...to a house that we call 'Graceland' –" He carries on as if I had never spoken. I freeze. Graceland? They're calling me to Graceland? Is this some kind of joke? They're moving me from my dream job in D.C. to go to Graceland?

            "Who requested this?" I ask, a little colder than I intended.

            "An Agent Paul Briggs..." He says, lifting his glasses to read the name typed on the paperwork on his desk. "He's rather well-known in his field. He's done some great work. You may have come across his name?"

            "Yes, Sir..." I say through gritted teeth, trying to keep my frustration on the inside. "He's my brother..."

How could he do this to me?! My own brother! My own stupid, selfish brother! He knew how much I wanted to work in D.C.! He knew what my plans were...and with just one phone call, he ruins everything. After making plans with the Director and the Secretary, I rush out of the building, my eyes stinging with tears as I retreat back to the car that my family are waiting by. Dad is leaning against the car, arms folded, and deep in thought as I reach the car.

            "Honey, what's wrong?" He says, standing straight when he senses that something isn't right.

            "I'm not going to D.C..." I try to hold back the tears, but they just won't stay put.

            "But I thought D.C. was what you wanted...?" He says softly as he puts an arm around me. He's obviously getting the wrong end of the stick here. He just thinks I've changed my mind of my own accord.

            "I still do want it, Dad...but I've been moved...I'm not going to D.C. anymore". My head drops to my Dad's shoulder and I let the tears fall freely. Mum gets out the car to see what's happened.

            "But why would they –? I don't understand..." Dad says, just as confused as I am.

            "Paul...that's why. Paul got in touch...he wants me to go to Graceland!" I shout through my tears.

            "What?" Mum asks in disbelief.

            "Yup..." I purse my lips. "He has ruined everything. And once again, Paul doesn't care about anyone else and what they want. All he ever thinks about is himself!" I yell.

            "Don't say that, honey", Mum says rubbing my arm. "I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it".

            "If you want, I can have a word with him", Dad says, offering me a tissue, which I take and start wiping away my tears.           

            "Thanks, Dad. But I don't think that'll change anything now", I sigh. "It's official... I'm going to Graceland whether I like it or not..."