goodbye - natasha romanoff

Y/N sank to the floor, tears streaming down her face as Natasha quietly sobbed.

She bent down to stroke her lover's back, trying to comfort her.

Final stage brain cancer. Six months left to live if
Y/N was lucky enough to survive that long, and survive wasn't the best option either.

The pain was only going to get worse and, in a few weeks, not even Bruce's strongest medicine would soothe her.

Her days will consist of eating and sleeping... well, if the pain doesn't keep her from falling asleep or from being too weak.

The hardest pill to swallow was that Y/N she could slowly start to forget things. From long term memory; childhood, people from her past, to short term memory such as knowing what she was doing thirty seconds ago, soon she'd forget everything.

Forgetting her everything was a scary thought. She couldn't imagine forgetting Natasha.

Bruce and Doctor Cho looked at the couple sadly, glossy eyes that showed that they were restraining from crying too.

It first started a year ago. The couple's first year as Avengers was promising, and they couldn't wait to start thinking of building a future together.

Natasha even gave her girlfriend a promise ring on they're 3 years anniversary. Really, nothing could stop this young flourishing couple.

Nothing except this.

At the start of the year, Y/N was victim of frequents throbbing headaches, usually happening in the afternoons or after a mission.

It wasn't really worrying for Y/N, though, as she thought it was just the fact getting back to a
new routine with the Avengers was tiring, and that eventually it would've gone away.

It wouldn't go away she would soon find out.

A year after, the headaches weren't going anywhere.

Actually, they were far more frequent, and far more painful too. So much painful Y/N had to miss missions and debriefing regularly, not even able to get out of bed.

At first, Y/N was able to caught up in the work, with the help of Natasha of course, but as weeks went on, the headaches made it impossible to do any work, and the big boss was getting worried about his agent.

It was Nick Fury who, in July, suggested-no, insisted that Y/N was to seek medical care.

He didn't budge when Y/N barged into his office a week later, fuming, saying she was completely fine, because, to her, she really was.

Nick Fury knew Y/N wasn't the type to react that way, yelling, throwing things at the walls. He knew something was going on.

When he called Natasha to his office so she could hopefully snap Y/N back to reality, it was a shock to the girl, seeing the girl she loved in such a state.

Her Y/N was hurting, you could see the pain in her eyes.

She just wanted the pain to go away. Her headaches were making her go mad, and Natasha couldn't do anything.

Y/N agreed that night to go see Doctor Cho.

"What are we going to do?" Y/N asked to Natasha, tears brimming her eyes.

She was inconsolable, the mourning of a life she had always dreamed of crushing her heart and shattering it into tiny pieces.

Life was cruel.

Life is cruel.

Natasha brought up a hand to wipe away the tears on Y/N's face. "I don't know," she admitted, and she realized Y/N wasn't the only one crying by the shakiness of her voice. "But I'll be there for you until the very end."