Chapter 18: Bringing it to an End

Start from the beginning

            “What about?” A.J asked as she stared at her brothers.

            “About tomorrow,” Albert answered.

            “It’s always been the three of us together against whoever tried picking a fight with one of us,” Paul began. “Whenever something happened we were able to have your back and keep you safe but…”

            “Now we’re useless,” Albert interupted. “It’s not somethin’ we’re used ta feelin’.”

            She chuckled. “Ain’t it me who’s usually comin’ ta save your butts.”

            “Yeah well we were always there to back you up,” Paul stated. “Now we can’t even be there in case you need us and we don’t like it.”

            “Guys I’ll be fine,” A.J assured with a loving smile to her brothers. “I won’t be alone ya know.”

            “Yeah but this all seems…it ain’t right!” Albert burst as he trained his eyes on his sister. “We’re your brothers, your older brothers, we should be able ta protect ya and keep ya safe from everythin’ and now everythin’s changed.”

            A.J nodded. “I know but guys it’s the way things gotta be,” she stated sadly. “I wish we could go back ta workin’ at Pappy’s and ridin’ ta school tagether in the mornin’ and go muddin’ without havin’ ta worry if we’re gonna get attacked or not. God I wish we could just go back ta how everthin’ was.”

            “How did everythin’ get so messed up so quick?” A.J and Paul shrugged in response to Albert’s general question. “Even after these hunters are taken care of things aren’t gonna be the same again, are they?”

            A.J nodded. “No there’s no comin’ back from this now that I’ve gotten involved,” she stated sadly. “Next year I’ll be enrollin’ in the hill school and Paul is gonna graduate and…what’re ya gonna do after graduation Paul?” she asked her older brother as she turned to look at him.

            “I’ve decided to go to the police academy like dad’s been pressuring me to,” he sighed as he laid down on his sister’s bed. 

            “What? Why!” Albert and A.J asked at the same time.

            “You were so excited ‘bout leavin’ Wolf’s Creek after graduatin’ and goin’ off ta school somewhere far away, what the hell?!” A.J asked in irritated confusion. “D’ya know how much I had ta fight mom and dad ‘bout lettin’ ya go and now you’re just givin’ in!?”

            “Angelica happened,” Paul snapped, halting any further words from his sister. “With this whole mate stuff we’re starting to get closer you know and I just don’t wanna leave her behind you know? Besides if I become a cop and take over for dad I’ll be on the town council one day which means I won’t be as useless when it comes to this werewolf crap as I am now.”

            “So you’re doin’ all this for Ang?” Albert asked in disbelief. His brother had never done anything for the sake of a girl before and the idea that he was now shocked both him and his sister.

            Paul nodded. A.J smirked. “I thought this was all too much for ya ta handle?”

            He shrugged. “People change you know. You’ll understand when you get to the same point with Darren.”

            A.J snorted. “Yeah ain’t happenin’, ya can count on that,” she picked out a strand of hair and began playing with it mindlessly. “Dare’s just…he’s Dare. I see him as one of my buds, someone I can hang with and talk ta…like Elmer or yins.”