Post Wedding Rituals

After tying the nuptial chain, the dining hall was flooded with the guests for having lunch. Whereas the couple were still busy with the panikgrahanam and sapthapadhi rituals along with the priest.

When he did panigrahanam holding her hands , the couple prayed to God while chanting the hymns to lead a loving and inseparable life. 

Venkat and Sreeja came 7 rounds around the fire holding her hands secured. He had pride in holding her hands as she is Sreeja Venkat from now on. On the other hand, Sreeja was enchanted with Venkat and was adoring him while walking. 

Then the couples were occupied with sapthapadhi, ammi midithal, arundhati Naksthatram and others rituals. Both were tired and hungry as they had not had any breakfast or coffee from morning. The smoke from the homangundam made their eyes glisten as well. 

Amidst the rituals, they were given a betel leaf stuffed with some nuts and other items to have it as part of the ritual. Sreeja felt it difficult to eat and almost had tears in her eyes due to vomiting sensation.

The priest then asked her to spit it out. Venkat though did not like it, still ate as he was very hungry and did not bother about the taste.

The mantras were going on  and venkat felt when will all this end and he can have lunch. While he was reciprocating the mantras and pouring ghee to the homagundam,Subhi came with a glass of juice and gave it to Sreeja.

Seeing her give to  Sreeja, he gave a look like , "you traitor, why can't you give me one?".

Subhi who understood his reaction,spoke  " don't look at me like that, priest told groom should not eat or drink anything until all the rituals are over. Bride is an exception" she said with a wide grin.

Venkat gave a glare at Sreeja who was drinking the juice happily seeing him sideways. 

"mapilai sir mandhratha solungo aprama athukariya pakalam. Inime vazhlka muluka avaala dhan pathundruka porel" priest said giving him some water on his hand to pour.

(lifelong you are going to look at her only, now recite the mantras, you can look at your wife later)

Venkat turned towards the priest and started chanting the mantras. After a total 1 hour of the pooja , all the rituals got over and the couples got blessings from everyone. 

Sreeja's cousin came and helped them to get blessings from each and everyone by giving them the akshadai.(yellow rice showered on the couples when they take blessings). 

Venkat's patience was tested when he asked to get blessings from every elder people in the hall. He even got irritated with Sreeja's cousin as well in this process and showed angry face.

Sreeja and Venkat were now sitting in the bridegroom room. A small argument kind of discussion happened between the two families on whether Sreeja should change her saree before having lunch or not. 

Sreeja looked around and saw her parents were not there , and it is her relatives who are bringing this conversation. She also saw Venkat who was sitting impatiently for them to take decision. 

After pacifying  her relatives that she will go with whatever the groom side says she went to change the saree in her room.

(The reason this fight happened was , in some families, it is not allowed to eat wearing muhurtham saree until the bride gives birth to a baby. Whereas some families allow eating while they are in the muhurtham attire).

Venkat who changed to different veshti and shirt was waiting outside the bride room for Sreeja. Sreeja then came wearing a brown silk cotton saree and together they went upstairs.