Proud

The first time Jimin saw you, he was drawn to you. You radiated a mistrustful aura, he could see it in your hesitant eyes. His selfless and outgoing personality felt the need to crack the shell that hid the yoke of your emotions. The thing about Jimin is that he wanted everyone to feel comfortable in his presence, a very admirable feature. Sometimes his emphatic personality was too much for some people, but he didn’t mind. So he made it his mission to befriend you.

The first time he talked to you, you drew him in further. He had managed to make you smile, and even if it didn’t reach your eyes, it was genuine, appreciative, and he felt like he was sitting under a cherry blossom tree, dappled sunlight filtering through the petals onto your faces. You talked about yourself after he asked questions, you kept your answers vague enough for him to want to know more. Your voice diluted his curiosity into peace of mind. You were a person that he wanted to be around all the time. And he realised this in the span of 30 minutes.  When it was time for you to leave, his eyes never left your figure, he still felt the petals of that cherry blossom tussle his hair. And he thought you were as beautiful as the rainbow that adorned your t-shirt. 

Over the coming days, you became more and more familiar with him. He greeted and smiled at you in passing, and you replied shyly, but he sensed you becoming more comfortable, your smiles getting wider and freer. Not to mention, your conversations were getting louder.

The first time he hugged you, sent warmth through his veins and he wanted to stay there forever. And according to the light hold on his waist, so did you. That time he decided to walk you around where he lived. You said it was beautiful but your attention was on the rainbow flags that decorated the greens, with an emotion that was undefinable to Jimin.

The first time he complimented you, he said you were pretty. 

But the way your expression flinched uncomfortably made his heart fall. You replied in thanks, but he could tell you didn’t mean it. It was the most awkward feeling, making someone who was important to you upset. Apologies spilled out of his mouth and he wished he knew how to make it better, but the only thing you said was,

"It’s okay, I’m just not ready to tell you why."

The first time he saw you cry, he felt waterfalls in his chest. He held you, your every whispering sob so loud to his ears. He just held you and wiped your tears away silently because you didn’t want to talk about it. He hoped this moment would reassure you that he would be there for you. This would in fact happen often. A cloud of inner turmoil hung over your head and would not leave you alone. And no matter how many times Jimin reminded you that his shoulder was always vacant for you, you just weren’t ready.

The first time he saw you scared was when you called him out at near midnight. It was cloudy, no cliche moonlight to dance upon your faces, just the dim streetlights. The words that left your mouth were hushed and held the fear of rejection.

"Jimin, I’m still figuring out who I am. But there is something that I want you to know."

He nodded, encouragingly.

"I don’t like being called pretty, or beautiful."

You couldn’t miss the surprise in his face, but something registered in him. "Is that why you reacted the way you did back then?"

You nodded and looked down. "I’m sorry."

"What have you got to apologise about?" he gently grasped your shoulders, bending down to catch your eyes. "I’m happy you told me this, I wouldn’t have wanted to upset you if I complimented you with those words in the future. I’m proud of you."

Proud.

You collapsed into his arms as he hugged you. He thought you were relieved, and you were, but he couldn’t see the slight upset in your eyes.

The next time he saw you, you looked happier, your smile reflected in the bright red of your cotton clothes. Jimin said you looked amazing, and if there was a word for how bright your smile was, he would use it a million times over to describe you. You hugged him, a heartfelt ‘thank you’ gracing his blushing ears. His beaming smile reflected yours as you held both his hands with firm affection.

"I have somewhere important to go tomorrow," you said, your voice shaky with excitement and nervousness. "I was wondering if you wanted to go with me."

Jimin smiled adoringly at your shy eyes. "Of course I will," he replied, patting your head delicately.

The next day, the streets were bustling, buildings and crowds draped in rainbows. There was a light pitter patter of rain, but the weather could never stop the abundance of love and pride. Jimin walked around the colourful crowds to the designated place you told him to meet, smiling warmly when someone dressed in extravagant drag handed him a rainbow flag. He looked around to see so many people comfortable in their own skin, and that’s all he ever wanted for everyone. Finally, he spotted you, bouncing on your own feet and waving, the most dazzling smile lifting the apples of your cheeks. You hugged him as soon as he stood in front of you and as your bodies parted, his fingers searched the collar of your jacket, his eyebrows angled in curiosity. Realising what he was looking at, your own palm pushed his away, not in defence, but only to stand taller. Jimin’s view of his dearest friend in that familiar state of anticipated nerves had his pulse quickening, but to be here, among a people radiating support and happiness, and for what he had just held on the tips of his fingers a moment ago, it could only be good news.

"Jimin," you said, after taking a deep breath, "My name is y/n, and I go by they/them pronouns."

His smile grew, and he had the urgency to put his arms around you, and so he did. Feeling your arms snake around his waist too, he leaned in closer, whispering, "That’s amazing. I'm proud of you."

Proud.

Jimin felt your shoulders shake with happy tears, because not only did you find comfort in him, you also found comfort in yourself, and he was human enough to accept who you are.

So, you both walked down the streets surrounded by hundreds, small rainbow flags held high in your palms, and the small badge on your jacket that read ‘they/them’ feeling no more burdensome now that your dearest friend knew that you finally found yourself.

To those who have come out and found yourselves, I'm proud of you, and to those who are still searching, you still deserve to be here on this earth, don't think of yourselves as less than others.