Chapter 34 Opportunities

Jeremy was always paying attention in class, yet on this class he was more attentive than ever due to the professor explaining the requirements for an application for the Facebook Internship. Since he first heard about it, he was interested in applying and was hoping he would get a chance. He barely listened to his phone listening, but noticing it was a text message from his mom certainly made him feel uncertain. It was not common that she texted him during classes, he would always share his schedule with her, so she had an idea of his day activities and would be easier to communicate. He imagined it was an emergency for her to text him. As soon as his class ended, he dialed his phone.

"Hey Ma, I saw your text. Is everything all right?" he said leaning against a wall.

"Hi son. I need to tell you something, that's it. I spoke with Jason, and he plans to visit you next week to share time with you after your birthday."

"Why?" 

"He wants to be a part of your life. He told me is preparing his will and he is including you in it. And you know, he's paying your tuition. He's already involved somehow."

"But I don't want anything from him. You know I didn't even want to pay my tuition, I just accepted because he insisted. You know I was hoping to get a job here to pay it myself if I didn't get a scholarship."

"He's making an effort to get to know you. Give him a chance."

"Why do you defend him so much? Did he ask you to speak on behalf of him?"

"Not at all. I still remember how growing up you would ask so many questions about him, now you have the opportunity to get to know him."

"When I was a kid, now that I have grown up, I understand I don't need him."

"You don't mean that."

"I do."

"My love, I'm your mother. I know you the most. I understand how angry you are at him, but I know deep inside of you that little boy wanting to meet his father still exists. You could talk to him and ask him everything you want."

She was right. He would always tell himself that he wanted nothing to do with Jason, but a small of part of him wanted to ask him how he could abandon him so easily. He felt troubled. Jason seemed so dedicated to his wife and kids, so why couldn't he do the same for him? Jeremy had mixed feelings towards him.

"I don't know, I feel I could scream at him."

"Go ahead, you are in all your right."

"You mean it?"

"Absolutely. I hope you don't mind, but I told him about your breakup with Dana. He seemed concerned, and he could give a man-to-man conversation to help you move on."

"I doubt he could be the best person to give me advice. Not after he treated you."

"Jason wants to know more about you, and you can learn more about him as well. It's a double win."

His mother was a person who would always see the goodness in people, she had a huge heart. Jeremy considered it a virtue and a curse at the same time, since people would take advantage of her. But she could be right this time.

"Okay, I promise I'll do an effort. If Jason asks if I agree tell me it's fine by me."

"Ok, baby. I need to go but I want to let you know I sent you a package with some stuff. It should arrive in some days, when it arrives, please tell me. Or if it doesn't give me a call."

"I will. Thanks ma, I love you."

"I love you too, bye."

Jeremy hanged the call and walked to the library to study. As he walked, he was thinking in all the questions he would do to Jason. When he saw him he would be sure to not let anything he wanted to know to slip.