Season 4 Chapter 88 Starry Flower

Start from the beginning

The red hair swayed and the green eyes pierced Ryuu. She had been seeking the light, but now her feet stopped.

Alise: Lion, you can't come here. We won't let you.

Ryuu: Alise...?

The eyebrows rose in flat rejection. The lips that were always so just denied her. Alise spoke as if she were trying to make Ryuu realize something.

Alise: You must not run away. Especially from him. You owe him that much.

Alise's gaze skipped past Ryuu into the darkness beyond. The monster's horrible roar pounded against Ryuu's back. It was the same roar of despair that terrified her, robbed her of the mask of wind, and turned her into a wretched elf. But within that hair-raising roar was the sound of resistance—a brave war cry like raging flames.

Alise: Don't you see? If you come here, you will regret it!

Alise's powerful voice made Ryuu's hands shake. Finally she was able to go beyond the light where she had so longed to go, but now she was beginning to question her decision. Her dried-out heart that yearned for her friends was competing fiercely with the mad desire to seek out that battle cry of flame.

Ryuu: I can't do it anymore...

Ryuu's voice was quiet now. To stop the fight in her heart, to give up on everything, she spoke in the unfeigned voice of her heart.

Ryuu: I just can't, Alise... I can't fight anymore. I can't resist the past.

The Skull Reaper. It was the beginning of everything, the source of all misfortune. A symbol of the past that tormented Ryuu. She knew that if she returned to the darkness, harsh reality awaited her. It terrified her. She was crippled by her fear of facing the past. Ryuu gave a miserable bleat and hung her head.

Alise: Liar.

But Alise responded with a single word.

Ryuu:—

Ryuu opened her sky-blue eyes and looked up. Her friend's face was before her, with its firm gaze that saw right through her.

Alise: You claim you don't want to lose hold of justice. Your justice is screaming at you not to lose Sora. The boy we all Astrea Familia fell in love with.

Alise did not explain anything. She did not admonish Ryuu. She did not lead her. She simply presented her with the truth. Her words shook Lyu to the core, sending out ripples in her heart.

Alise: Justice is still alive within you!

What was "justice"? What was "right"? Ryuu had never known. She had never been able to find an answer. All she knew was that Astrea had told her to forget about justice. She assumed that she had lost all right to it. But Sora had told her something different.

He had said she still had justice within her.

Alise: Our Familia sought peace and harmony. Even now, our new Familia outside this very city of heroes is still making everyone happy!

Now Alise, too, was confirming Ryuu's justice.

Alise: You never once forgot that. You always stuck to your guns and did the right thing, just like I knew you would.

The words of her Hero and the girl linked up in her mind so that finally she understood their meaning.