Season 4 Chapter 70 Calamity Arrives

No one's POV

Adventurer 1: Boris, this is bad!

Adventurer 2: I've never heard the Dungeon make this noise before! Let's get outta here!

The adventurers had gathered together again after being scattered by their encounter with Gale Wind, and they were now chasing her and Bell in a group.
They were determined to kill the legendary fugitive with their own hands. She had managed to get away after the surprise attack, but they were sure that with a group this big, they would be able to take her down.

Things were changing quickly, however. There had been the tremendous explosions on the twenty-fifth floor, and now the wails that were unquestionably coming from the Dungeon. Everyone guessed that the high-frequency sounds, so loud they could not stand to leave their ears uncovered, signaled an irregularity.

The upper-class adventurers knew something unprecedented was about to happen, and without exception they petitioned the head of Rivira to evacuate the party from the floor.

Adventurer 3: Hey, Boris! Boris!

Boris:...Wait.

Adventurers: Huh?

They stopped moving as Boris thrust his palm toward them. He removed his other hand from the side of his giant eye-patch-adorned head and muttered.

Boris: The sound...has stopped.

(Elsewhere)

The mermaid wrapped her arms around her body.

Marie(mind): Ugh...I hate this sound...!

She was deep underwater, surrounded by bluish darkness. She had dived down to escape the horrible cry of her mother, the Dungeon, trying to hide in the water. Her body curled like a fetus, she desperately pressed her hands against the fins that served as her ears.

 Her body curled like a fetus, she desperately pressed her hands against the fins that served as her ears

Marie(mind): I'm scared, scared, scared...!

It had happened before, just once. It had been five years ago, she was sure. She had heard her mother's lament coming from far deeper in the Dungeon. Of course, that time it had nothing to do with Marie, who could not leave the Water Capital, but still, she had been frightened. Something bad had been born that time, too. She didn't know much, but she knew that. She understood.

Marie pressed her hands to her ears and squeezed her eyes shut. She had escaped to the depths of the water in an attempt to separate herself from the terrifying reality. But behind her shut eyelids, she saw her friends and her family—the Xenos. The Xenos, and an image of the back of the boy she had met so recently in the Dungeon. That boy, who was as important to her as her own family, was here. He was already among her most prized treasures.

Marie(mind): Bell...!

She pushed away her fear and forced her eyes open. Her tears spilling into the water and her tail beating against it, the mermaid swam toward the surface where the light filtered in.