Season 4 Chapter 87 A Sweet Lie

No one's POV

The stream gurgled quietly. The sound of the thirty-seventh floor's lone spring was a song unconnected to battlefields. There was no phosphorescence on either the walls or ceiling. But the pure stream that ran down the center of the passage shone, itself a light source illuminating the passage with mysterious blue light. The shore on either side was about four meders wide. It was not rocky but rather as smooth as an iceberg.

Ryuu and Sora sat on one shore, resting with their backs against the wall as they had done up to this point.

Ryuu:...How does your body feel? Especially that wound of yours?

Ryuu whispered, a rustling sound coming from her nearly motionless form.

Sora: Fine. I slept for quite a while...and I drank that water. Now all we have to so is wait for Slyphie and Bell to head here.

Ryuu: How will they find us?

Sora: Slyphie is my Contracted Spirit. And she can sense wherever and whenever I am. So it shouldn't take long for them to be here.

For Sora and Ryuu, finding water was lifesaving. The combination of the harsh environment and the merciless string of battles had pushed Sora to the edge of dehydration. The stream was the water of life. They had already spent nearly an hour by the river. Without any monsters to fight, they were able to get a full rest. That was unprecedented given their five-minute breaks up to this point.

Sora:...

Ryuu:...

Both Ryuu and Sora fell silent. Properly speaking, whatever they talked about, the exchange ended quickly, so that conversation amounted to a succession of short bursts. They looked at the river, not meeting each other's eyes. To get to the point, they were half-naked.

Sora:......

Ryuu:......

Their soaked clothes and equipment had been pitilessly robbing them of body heat—all the more so because they were so tired. They had consequently decided to take their clothes off. It was the obvious choice. No matter how much they understood the logic, however, their emotions were another matter. The serious, upright elf and the humble human were both thrown into a panic. They blushed, each unable to ignore the presence of the other, as they desperately tried to quiet their pounding hearts. That was the situation.

Sora:.........

Ryuu:.........

Ryuu was naked on top but wore her long cape, which had escaped a soaking. From the waist down, she wore only a thin pair of underwear. Sora was also naked on top and wore a pair of black long underwear rolled up to the knees. The repeated inadequate healing had glued the underwear to his leg wounds, and pulling it off by force would have opened the wounds again. He'd compromised by leaving them on. On balance, though, he was still more exposed than Ryuu.