PROLOGUE

How did she end up here?

Her light brown eyes darted about the dark woods in fright. She could hear the sound of twigs breaking as if someone was trying to approach her stealthily.

Her heart was racing wildly and she prayed to her heavenly father to deliver her.

      "Clara? Clara, is that you?"

Fear coursed through her veins and she shivered when a strong wind blew against her. Even though she had on a red thick hood, she could still feel the cold bite her skin.

Slowly, she began to find her way back to the celebration which was happening in the middle of town.

While walking, she listened carefully to her surroundings because she believed that someone or something was after her and her life was at stake.

But why was this person after her?

What crime did she commit?

She had been nice to people and no one hated her in the village. She held the cross on her rosary tightly and prayed deeply for God's intervention.

       "Jecinta!"

She turned her head sharply in the direction of the voice which called her name. Relief washed over her and she thanked her father in heaven for rescuing her.

       "Jecinta?"

The person called out again and Jecinta happily ran in the direction of the voice while screaming in order to let the person know where she was.

"I'm right here Clara…I'm here."

"Jecinta, where are you?"

As Jecinta kept running as fast as she could, a creature zoomed past her and it caused her to stop in her tracks.

She looked around with fear in her eyes as she searched for the thing that went past her but all she saw was woods.

Breathing heavily and shaking badly, a drop of sweat ran down her forehead. Her chest rose and fell as her heartbeat increased when she felt someone breath down her neck.

Tears clouded her eyes as she tried to control her breathing and stay still but she couldn't. She was overwhelmed with dread.

A low growl followed the breathing and the hairs on her skin stood in alarm.

She felt the unknown creature move from behind her and she immediately shut her eyes closed so she wouldn't see what it was and have terrible nightmares.

       "Jecinta! Jecinta, where are you? This isn't the time to play."

She clearly heard her friend call out to her but she couldn't utter a word because she was trapped.

A heavy breeze blew on her face and her eyes curiously opened to see what it was.

A pair of bright golden eyes stared back at her and for a moment, she was mesmerized by its beauty.

However, the golden eyes hardened in hate and bared its sharp teeth at her.

       "Ahhhhhhh!"

Her voice echoed round the woods as she took to her heels, nevertheless, it didn't take long for the creature to catch up to her and trap her beneath it.

It was then she realized it was a wolf, a big black wolf!

        "NO! CLARA HELP!!! Ahhh!"

Her screams were loud and Clara halted in fear. She began to look around in dread, wondering which direction her friend had gone because her screams came from every angle.

        "Forgive me Jecinta but I have to call the watchmen," Clara muttered to herself before running in the opposite direction. She could sense that her friend was in danger but she didn't want to be part of it.

She had nothing to defend herself with so she ran back to report what was happening in the woods.

At a distance, a black wolf stood in the dark part of the woods watching as the young lady ran back to the village.

Its eyes hardened further when they lowered to glare at the innocent lady who it murdered not long ago.

Her light brown eyes were wide in shock and she was covered in blood which was similar color to her hood.

The wolf morphed into its human form and knelt before her. His golden eyes were still glued to the dead girl's face and his heart ached at what he did but he tried to swallow that ache.

He roughly gathered both her legs in his hands and dragged her body against the rough ground. Little twigs got entwined in her hair and so did sand particles.

He dragged her without remorse all the way to where he had dug her grave. The ache in his heart grew and a groan escaped his lips but he tried to overpower it.

He let go of her legs and they fell to the ground then he walked round her and stood at her side.

His eyes stared down at her lifeless brown eyes for almost thirty seconds.

       "No one can overpower me, not even you."

As soon as he finished saying those words, he used his left foot to push her body into the grave he had dug for her.