epilogue.

The bright hospital lights almost blinded Y/n as her eyes flickered open, startling her best friend sitting beside her. She lifted her head stiffly before rushing outside, calling for a nurse. 

"Min, where are we?" Y/n croaked, surprised at her weak voice.

Her friend held her hand tightly, tears forming in her eyes. "You're in the hospital, Y/n. You've been knocked out cold for a few days."

"Days?!" Y/n sat up, adjusting to the unusual setting. An IV was inside her body, injecting medicine and painkillers while her heart monitor began to increase. 

A nurse rushed in, her face softening. "You're awake," she said, relieved. 

Two more figures rushed inside. It was Tara and Sam. A relieved smile came upon Tara's face as she dashed to Y/n, pulling her into an intimate hug. 

"I missed you," she whispered. When she let go, her eyes lit up. "Oh, I forgot to tell you! Chad's alive!" She announced.

The girl gasped as the nurse checked her vitals. "W-what? How?"

"Chad's immortal, I guess," Mindy remarked. Y/n noticed her phone on the table beside Mindy as she passed it to her. 

When she scrolled through her phone, she realized it blew up with notifications on every social media app she owned, wishing her well. Y/n opened her message app to see Ethan still pinned. Her smile faded as the girls noticed.

"Y/n? You alright?"

Y/n nodded insincerely. "Yeah... it's just — I can't believe it. The first person I started to love turned out to be the killer. I don't even know if I'm happy he's dead." She sighed, deleting their messages. 

"Y/n, I know how hard it is," Sam comforted, holding Y/n's hand with hers. "You'll get over it and find love soon. It took me a while to accept that Richie was Ghostface... it doesn't feel real. We're all here to help each other cope. Don't forget that."

Y/n pressed her lips into a smile when Mindy interjected. "Yeah! Ethan was a loser, anyway. I'm forever Team Wes," she laughed. 

"I think we all are," Tara agreed.

"Do you think Ethan and Wes are fighting each other in the afterlife right now?" Mindy questioned while everyone laughed at her stupid question. "No, I'm serious. Wes is probably pissed that he stabbed her."

"What is going on in your mind?" Y/n chuckled. 

"Well, I hope Wes is winning," Sam shrugged.

"Yeah, I miss him," Y/n remarked. "I think he's the best person I will ever date."

While Mindy and Tara discussed how Wes was probably beating the shit out of Ethan right now, Y/n thought of Ethan. Even if he was the killer, she still missed him — and maybe a part of her heart still loved him. It was hard to put in her brain, even if she's been through it before. This was different — Y/n wasn't as close with Amber, and she barely knew Richie. She was close to Ethan. She remembered their first (and last) date, the endless conversations about films, and that night at the apartment. 

An uneasy feeling appeared in Y/n's stomach as she realized that she had missed Ethan and fallen in love with a killer. 

"Y/n?" Mindy waved a hand before Y/n's face, snapping out of her thoughts."Yeah?"

"You okay?"

"A bit. My stomach feels sore, and I'm traumatized," she joked. Her smile faded before she started to get serious. "Do you guys wish that everything magically got better? Like before all the killings?"

The three grew sullen. 

"Yeah, I do. But Ghostface brought me back to you guys, and I'm grateful for that," Sam responded, wrapping her arms around her sister. 

Mindy nodded in agreement. "We wouldn't have moved to the beautiful New York together without them."

A vibration echoed through the room before Tara reached out of her pocket. "It's Chad. I'll go visit him," she announced. 

"I'll come," Sam said as she followed. 

"Mindy, aren't you going to go?"

"Eh, I talked to him earlier before he went to sleep. I wanna stay with you," she beamed. 

Y/n forced a smile while Mindy inched her chair closer to her bed. The two sat together in silence, both wandering in their thoughts.

"Do you think it's bad that I still love Ethan?" Y/n questioned, holding her head in shame. Mindy lifted her eyes, taking Y/n's hands into her own.

"No. It's all a blur for you now,  but I think you'll get over it. We're all here for you."

Y/n nodded insincerely, her mind wandering to the only two people she had loved.

Her brain was brought to Wes Hicks, her first love and the only person who made her feel like life was worth living. She would never forget he was beautiful, inside and out. Y/n reminisced about their unforgettable moments, from when he asked her to homecoming to their first kiss. She believed the times she spent with him were unmatched, and his untimely demise was the beginning of the universe turning against her. Was it meant to be, or was another case of the right person, wrong time cliche?

Ethan Landry, the person who was supposed to save her but destroyed her heart. She thought he was the person that would help her learn to love again after months of distrusting others in fear of losing them, but now she couldn't think of dating someone again. He ruined those chances of Y/n finding a person for her, yet deep inside, she loved him. She wanted to forgive and give him a chance to redeem himself since he had proven that he felt emotions and had remorse— but her head told her to hate Ethan Landry and his family. His brother killed her Wes. 

Y/n desperately wanted to look past what he had done to her and her loved ones, but she couldn't. She couldn't forgive him, so she forced herself to hate him.

An ongoing conflict rumbled in her mind until she got a headache. Y/n held her head in frustration, tears flowing down her cheeks unknowingly. 

Mindy noticed her quietly sob before she got up, holding the girl between her arms. 

"Mindy?"

"Yeah?"

"Will this ever be over?"

Her best friend held her tighter, rubbing her back comfortingly. She may not be able to get the people who captured her heart, but at least she had her best friend.

"Yeah. Everything will be okay soon, Y/n. Everything will get better."

THE END
(6/14/2023)

A/N:
Thank you for reading! I kind of hate this but okay!
I enjoyed writing this :) I hope you loved this story as much as I did.
Please check out some of my other stories if you want <3
Thank you!